This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6918 / 55°41'30"N
Longitude: -4.4817 / 4°28'54"W
OS Eastings: 244104
OS Northings: 647046
OS Grid: NS441470
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.GG80
Mapcode Global: WH3PY.464G
Plus Code: 9C7QMGR9+P8
Entry Name: Robertland, Including Outbuildings, Cottage and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352554
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18498
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Possibly David Hamilton, circa 1820. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical classical House, with mid 19th century 2-storey extension to rear (E). Sandstone ashlar, with raised, moulded architraves; painted to rear with contrasting raised, painted margins. Base course, cill courses, cornice, blocking course.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: central advanced pedimented bay. Shallow steps lead to central 2-leaf timber panelled entrance door with Doric-columned doorpiece. Floating cornices to windows at ground. Doric pilasters to outer aspects.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Piended roofs, corniced wallhead stacks with decorative polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Original room plan largely extant. 4-pane timber doors, some simple cornicing.
OUTBUILDINGS: to E. Single-storey and attic 3-bay cottage with adjacent, long, single-storey outbuilding to N. Rubble, some painted, with raised margins. Predominately 4-pane sash and case timber windows. Grey slates, raised skews, ridge and gable stacks, some cans missing.
COTTAGE, FURTHER TO E, WITH FRONT ELEVATION FACING N: 2-storey, 4-bay, piended roofed. Rubble with raised cills. 12-pane sash and case timber windows to ground, small, 6-pane fixed windows to upper storey. 2-leaf boarded timber door. Wallhead stacks. Adjoins tall rubble wall to rear.
WALLED GARDEN: circa 0.8 acres. Virtually intact rubble wall incorporating a number of 16th century stones from the old Robertland castle, which lies to the South East (currently a Scheduled Monument). Stone over gateway to walled garden is inscribed with initials IR and AR (see Notes), with Royal Arms of Scotland. Another panel is inscribed 1597 with the Latin sentence VITA POST FINE ERAVERIT (there will be life after the end).
This is a good example of a small early 19th century estate which retains some elements of a previous castle to the south east. The principal elevation of the house has well-detailed Classical elements and good proportions. The estate retains some good outbuildings close to the house, in particular a little altered, piended roof cottage. Together with Robertland Lodge and Robertland Bridge (see separate listings) the house forms an important small estate group.
Robertland is noted as belonging to Sir John Hunter Blair in the 1st Statistical Account of Scotland of 1791-9. The 2nd Statistical Account of 1845, notes that the old castle of Robertland which was formerly the stronghold of the Cunninghams, Baronets of Robertland, are situated behind the modern mansion of Alexander Kerr, Esq of Robertland and James Paterson, in his History of the County of Ayr of 1852, notes that Robertland was purchased by Alexander Kerr at the beginning of the 19th century, probably around 1913. Alexander Kerr was a native of Stewarton who had spent many years in America and made his fortune in the tobacco trade. Davis (1991), suggests that the house may have been built by David Hamilton, the renowned and prolific Glasgow architect, but currently this has not been confirmed. The house has since passed through a number of owners.
In 1914, when the house was lying empty, two suffragettes broke in through the conservatory window which lay to the South, and set fire to the building. Only the front of the house was severely damaged and this was restored shortly afterwards. The Estate was sold in 1913 and consisted of 2,243 acres with 26 farms.
The initials IR and AR on one of the stones in the walled garden commemorates the marriage of James VI of Scotland to Anne of Denmark of 1589.
List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings