This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6942 / 55°41'38"N
Longitude: -4.4911 / 4°29'27"W
OS Eastings: 243524
OS Northings: 647333
OS Grid: NS435473
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.G64Z
Mapcode Global: WH3PX.Z4KM
Entry Name: 2 Robertland, the Gatehouse, Including Gate Piers
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352555
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18499
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Later 19th century. Single-storey, 3-bay, L-plan Classical lodge situated at entrance drive to Robertland House (see separate listing). Droved, squared and snecked sandstone with raised, smooth ashlar margins. Base course, eaves band, cornice. S elevation with central advanced pedimented doorpiece with moulded architrave and replacement entrance door.
Non-traditional top-opening windows. Piended roof with grey slates, Corniced wallhead stacks with decorative cans.
INTERIOR (seen 2008). Comprehensively modernised.
GATEPIERS: pair of tall square-plan gate piers to drive with flanking smaller pedestrian gatepiers. Ashlar with base course, cornice and overhanging swept pyramidal capstones. Modern metal gates.
This roadside lodge has refined, well-detailed Classical features. Together with the distinctively designed gatepiers, it is situated at the entrance to the drive of Robertland House and forms an important and integral part of the wider estate. Gate lodges such as this played an important function for large estates as they were usually the first building a visitor would see on approach to the main house. The design of the lodge therefore was of importance in establishing an impression within the visitors' mind.
The lodge first appears on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1894-6. The driveway to the house appears to have been realigned further to the South sometime after the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1854 and the lodge and gatepiers may have been built at this time. Robertland Estate is one with a long history within the Parish. There was originally a castle at Robertland (the site is now a Scheduled Monument) lying to the SE of the present house. The present house was built at the beginning of the 19th century by the then owner Alexander Kerr, a native of the area who had made his money in the tobacco trade. The Estate then passed to his son after his death in the 1840s. The Estate passed through a number of different owners in the 20th century.
List Description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.
Category changed from B to C(S) in 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings