This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6703 / 55°40'13"N
Longitude: -4.5121 / 4°30'43"W
OS Eastings: 242108
OS Northings: 644729
OS Grid: NS421447
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.HTL7
Mapcode Global: WH3PX.NQLX
Entry Name: Old Kilmarnock Road, High Peacockbank House
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352556
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18500
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Dated 1787. 2-storey, 3-bay former farmhouse with slightly advanced, pedimented central bay. Painted ashlar to front (E) with contrasting painted raised margins; painted rubble to rear. Base course, cornice. Central 2-leaf, 4-panel timber entrance door with simple corniced doorway. Inscribed 1787 in pediment. Pentice to left. Later, flat-roofed 2-storey extension to rear.
Predominantly replacement plate glass timber tilt-and turn windows to front elevation. Grey slates, raised skews, coped gablehead stacks with polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Original room layout largely extant. Some decorative cornicing. Curved staircase with shallow treads, iron balusters and timber banister.
This late 18th century farmhouse with its classical details retains much of its early form and outline to its principal elevation. The house has wide proportions and the roofline remains unadorned with the exception of the fine corniced gable stacks. The closeness of the upper storey windows to the wallhead are typical for its early date. Ayrshire was a particularly rich agricultural area with many farm houses but the pedimented bay here suggests that this was a farm of some quality. The end of the 18th century brought many improvements to agriculture and many existing farm buildings were extended and new ones were erected at this time, as here. Local knowledge suggests that there was a farm called Pearce Bank Farm on this site in the earlier 18th century.
High Peacockbank Farm was previously listed in its entirety. The farm buildings adjoining were later converted into 4 separate dwellings and only this principal farmhouse component has been retained in the listing following the resurvey of Stewarton Parish in 2008.
List Description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.
Category changed from B to C(S).