This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0399 / 56°2'23"N
Longitude: -4.8032 / 4°48'11"W
OS Eastings: 225470
OS Northings: 686546
OS Grid: NS254865
Mapcode National: GBR 0B.RDXZ
Mapcode Global: WH2LX.6G02
Entry Name: Shandon, Shore Road, Old Shandon Free Church with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 18 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352598
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18541
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
1844 with additions 1883 and converted to flats in 1980s. Originally rectangular-plan hall church, now T-plan with tower, tower and transepts added in 1883 additions, along with porch and buttresses. Rubble sandstone and whin with ashlar quoin strips and dressings. Base course. Eaves band.
W ELEVATION: CAMPANILE: 2-stage campanile tower to left, now truncated, spire removed on conversion. 2-light lancet at ground, cornice divides lower stage from ashlar bell chamber, louvred lancet arches, string course, piended roof. Door with gable on left return.
3-bay main hall to right. Gabled stone porch at centre, angle buttresses, pointed arch, hoodmoulds, lancets on side returns. Flanking lancets. Quatrefoil circular panel in gablehead. Ashlar
N ELEVATION: gable of transept to outer left, stepped 3-light window, ashlar chamfered angle pinnacles, windows on right return. 2-bay nave to right comprised of 2 lancets symmetrically disposed, 2 small windows at eaves level, that to right with gabled dormerhead.
E ELEVATION: rendered. Gable at centre, asymmetrical arrangement of doors and windows, blank outer bays.
Aluminium windows. Rubberoid roof. Ashlar coping to skews and skewblocks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble boundary wall with ashlar slab coping to W and rubble semi-circular coping to N. Chamfered ashlar gatepiers with pinnacle caps. Original gateway at centre of W elevation, now blocked.
This former Free Church of Scotland was converted to 4 luxury flats in the early 1980s. The spire was removed on conversion but much of the main exterior fabric of the church remains. The war memorial, originally sited in the churchyard was relocated when the churchyard was made into an elevated car park. The war memorial is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings