History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shandon, Shore Road, Letrault with Stables and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Rhu, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0377 / 56°2'15"N

Longitude: -4.8012 / 4°48'4"W

OS Eastings: 225583

OS Northings: 686298

OS Grid: NS255862

Mapcode National: GBR 0B.RMC3

Mapcode Global: WH2LX.6HYR

Entry Name: Shandon, Shore Road, Letrault with Stables and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 8 September 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352612

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18551

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rhu

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Lomond North

Parish: Rhu

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Shandon

Description

1855, extended 1864. 2-storey, 5-bay asymmetrical villa with single storey block and conservatory to N; rambling- plan villa; Jacobethan details. Cream-painted harl with sandstone ashlar dressings and margins. Base course; quoin strips; string course; hoodmoulds; bipartites, stone mullions; chamfered reveals; eaves cornice.

SW ELEVATION: 5-bay villa with 1864 lower block recessed to outer left. 2-stage, square entrance tower to left; 4-panelled door with plate glass fanlight; stepped hoodmould; bipartite to left return; bipartites symmetrically disposed to each face at 1st floor, stepped hoodmould, strapwork over; shaped parapet on moulded corbels. Slightly advanced gabled bay to right; full-height canted bay window. 3-bay symmetrical block to outer right; polished sandstone tripartite window and gabled

dormerhead slightly advanced at centre, ball finial; flanking

dormerheads to outer left and right, blind lancet at gablehead;

fleur-de-lis finials; blank at ground floor left and right. Lower

sandstone gabled block, blank harled bay and conservatory to outer left. Tripartite window; armorial plaque with date stone 1864 at gablehead; blank bay recessed to left, canted conservatory on sandstone base to outer left.

4-pane and plate glass sash and case windows; grey slate roof; sawtooth skews, ashlar coping to skewputts; console skewputts; coped, rectangular apex and ridge stacks, octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993.

OUTBUILDINGS: long, rectangular-plan, asymmetrical outbuildings to NE of house. Cream-painted harl with sandstone dressings and margins; quoin strips, eaves band. 4-panelled door off-centre to right with plate glass letterbox fanlight, coach opening outer right; windows (all with replacement glass, all with lying-pane effect) asymmetrically disposed. Pantiled roof; squat, coped ridge stacks, octagonal terracotta cans.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: curved low ashlar plinth wall with simple cast-iron railings, terminated by piers with pyramidal caps, now capped by cast-iron lamps.

Statement of Interest

Letrault is shown on the 1st edition map as a long rectangular-plan house. The house was extended in 1864 with the conservatory wing to N and an L-plan kitchen wing at rear.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.