History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cullivoe, St Olaf's (North Yell) Kirk (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in North Isles, Shetland Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 60.6993 / 60°41'57"N

Longitude: -1.0051 / 1°0'18"W

OS Eastings: 454418

OS Northings: 1202197

OS Grid: HP544021

Mapcode National: GBR R0WG.D2B

Mapcode Global: XHF7H.BBLN

Entry Name: Cullivoe, St Olaf's (North Yell) Kirk (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 18 October 1977

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352743

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18649

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Yell

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: North Isles

Traditional County: Shetland

Find accommodation in
Ulsta

Description

1832, remodelled 1886. Symmetrical 1 x 4-bay hall church of rectangular plan with single storey entrance porch and vestry projecting at E and W gables respectively. Harled walls with painted margins. Base course.

W (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical, advanced centre bay with projecting single storey gabled entrance porch containing vertically-boarded timber door in round-arched opening with blind fanlight in arch-head, round-arched recess centre above containing rectangular window; centre bay breaking eaves, tower-like, with crenellated wallhead centred by crenellated bellcote containing bell; gable framed by plain buttresses, breaking eaves with crenellated heads.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical 4-bay elevation, tall round-arched windows with high cills in centre bays, rectangular windows in outer bays.

E GABLE: single storey vestry projecting at ground; 2-bay S elevation with window and vertically-boarded timber door in left and right bays respectively; round-arched window centred in principal gable behind.

N ELEVATION: symmetrical, 2 tall round-arched windows flanking centre.

Principal windows border-glazed with coloured glass; modern vestry window. Purple-grey slate roof with concrete copes to skews and crenellations; decorative cast-iron finial to porch.

INTERIOR: panelled timber gallery to E end.

BOUNDARY WALL: harl-pointed rubble wall enclosing church, canted to E with timber gate at centre flanked by cement-rendered gatepiers, additional gate centring W wall.

Statement of Interest

In ecclesiastical use. The remodelling of 1886 included the addition of the crenellated corner buttresses and bell tower.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.