This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5025 / 56°30'8"N
Longitude: -2.9112 / 2°54'40"W
OS Eastings: 344009
OS Northings: 734863
OS Grid: NO440348
Mapcode National: GBR VL.TCRM
Mapcode Global: WH7R5.7TZH
Entry Name: Burnside of Duntrune, 6/7, 8 and 9 Burnside of Duntrune, Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352763
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18667
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Formerly dated 1828, incorporating slightly earlier block. Row of
3 (formerly 4) cottages built on failing ground and following bend in road, consisting of single storey and attic, single storey, and single storey and basement respectively. Rubble sandstone with droved and margined quoins, most now stone cleaned, some concrete window dressings, purple and grey slate roof. Window previously lying-pane sash and case, majority now with out-of-character uPVC or aluminium frames; plain bargeboards, moulded gable and ridge stacks.
FRONT ELEVATION: L-plan section at left; window and door at left, advanced gable at right with window at ground floor and attic. Single storey, 3-bay section at right with door in slightly advanced gable, window at left and right. L-plan section at far right; projecting window at advanced gable at left with round-headed opening at attic, door and window at right; door to basement and corbelled oriel window (with original glazing pattern) and right return gable.
REAR ELEVATION: projecting piended roof wing at centre and various other smaller additions. Some modern rooflights, windows and a porch.
EARLIER BLOCK: situated immediately to the rear of northern cottage
(No 9); gable has Aberdeen bond masonry with door at basement and window with original glazing at main floor, both with chamfered margins, blocked arrow slit opening at attic, chamfered coping at skew; return elevation at right has blocked window at basement and blocked door at main floor which formerly had forestair, 12-pane sash and case window at right.
BOUNDARY WALL: low rubble wall with cast-iron railings at front of cottages.
These cottages are conceivably from the office of William Burn who in 1826 designed Duntrune House for the Stirling Graham family. The date 1828 was formerly inscribed over the door of No 9, but removed when the spalling masonry was re-dressed. Although a majority of windows have been unsympathically replaced, the cottages are listed for their picturesque composition adjoining the bridge and weir, and for their connection with Duntrune House.
Other nearby listed buildings