This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3143 / 59°18'51"N
Longitude: -2.9881 / 2°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 343848
OS Northings: 1047958
OS Grid: HY438479
Mapcode National: GBR L4Z3.PWT
Mapcode Global: XH8KG.D44V
Plus Code: 9CFV8276+PQ
Entry Name: Pierowall, Trenabie Bere Mill
Listing Date: 8 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352868
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18734
Building Class: Cultural
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
Probably earlier 18th century (crude 1722 datestone); restored 1999. Single storey (originally with loft); rectangular-plan; bere mill; with crowstepped gables and intact breast-shot waterwheel. Coursed rubble.
N ELEVATION: narrow entrance to outer left (probably originally to gear cupboard around/over pit wheel). Loft window above. Entrance with boarded timber to right of centre; window (formerly entrance) to right. Stone in masonry to left roughly inscribed 'T S 1722'.
S ELEVATION: entrance to left of centre. Small boarded window to outer right.
E ELEVATION: cast-iron 8-spoke breast-shot waterwheel parallel to gable end to left of centre. Small window above to left; smaller opening above to right. Base of finial to gable.
W ELEVATION: small window to right (at ground floor). Loft window centred to gable above. Ball finial to gable.
Fixed single and 2-pane windows. Stone slate roof with some rooflights.
INTERIOR: cast-iron bevel pit-wheel intact. Splayed reveals to most windows.
An intact early bere mill, sympathetically restored in 1999 (it was re-roofed at this time). It was fed (together with the larger later Trenabie Mill immediately to the S - see separate list description) by water channelled via sluice gates from the Loch of Saintear. The leats and a sluice gate are still intact. It appears on the 1882 OS map as 'Corn Mill'. The Trenabie estate, to which it belonged, was in the ownership of the Balfour family. The current (2000) owners plan to restore it to working order.
Other nearby listed buildings