This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3098 / 59°18'35"N
Longitude: -2.9693 / 2°58'9"W
OS Eastings: 344913
OS Northings: 1047440
OS Grid: HY449474
Mapcode National: GBR M414.0HH
Mapcode Global: XH8KG.M8R9
Plus Code: 9CFV825J+W7
Entry Name: Brough Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 December 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352949
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18804
Building Class: Cultural
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
Late 18th/early 19th century. 2-storey; 3-bay; rectangular-plan house with crowstepped gables and symmetrical principal (SE) elevation. Coursed rubble, partially harled.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with boarded timber door. Flanking windows to each floor and one above.
NW ELEVATION: window to each floor to left of centre. Small rubble addition and adjacent concrete block addition (probably for water tank) to outer left.
SW ELEVATION: window to each floor to right of gable end.
NE ELEVATION: single storey lean-to concrete addition to right of gable end.
12-pane timber sash and case windows (panes largely missing). Caithness slate roof. Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side (NE and SW); round cans.
INTERIOR: plan intact. Box bed in separate recess with panelled timber door to ground floor room to left of entrance. Plain timber fireplace surrounds; that in room to right of entrance (kitchen) with cast-iron range.
An intact superior quality farmhouse of late 18th/early 19th century date. It was the estate farm for Brough House (see separate list description) and was built at around the same time as the nearby house. The adjacent E-plan steading (see separate list description) dates from the later 19th century. The estate belonged to the Stewart family (Edward, the first laird, was an illegitimate son of Earl Robert Stewart of Orkney) from around the end of the 16th century until the middle of the 19th century (it was left to trustees by the 8th laird, James Stewart, in 1858). According to Fenton it belonged to the Traill family during the same period (the two families do appear to have been related however). In the early 1840's 'Mr Stewart of Brugh' was described as the head of one of only two families of independent fortune residing in the parish (then including Papa Westray, New Statistical Account). By 1880 it was certainly in the possession of the Traills of Holland (OS Name Book). It appears on the 1881 OS Map.
Other nearby listed buildings