History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drygrange, Former Steading (Including 1 and 2 Drygrange Cottages and Drygrange Stables Cottage)

A Category B Listed Building in Melrose, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6123 / 55°36'44"N

Longitude: -2.6728 / 2°40'21"W

OS Eastings: 357719

OS Northings: 635616

OS Grid: NT577356

Mapcode National: GBR 93SJ.4Z

Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.X6FC

Entry Name: Drygrange, Former Steading (Including 1 and 2 Drygrange Cottages and Drygrange Stables Cottage)

Listing Date: 4 June 1991

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353000

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18838

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Melrose

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose

Parish: Melrose

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Find accommodation in
Earlston

Description

Circa 1800 with later alterations including Charles G H Kinnear, 1889 (clock and ogee roof) and Camerdon Associates, 1993 (conversion to offices and residential). Large H-plan steading in Jacobethan style with central clock tower with leaded ogee roof. Squared and snecked red sandstone rubble. Ashlar copings, kneelers and ball finials at principal gable apexes. Shouldered dormers. Setted inner courtyard.

Predominantly multi-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Coped stacks. Minor alterations (courtyard entrances to stables in E wing altered).

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-Group including 'Drygrange House (Grangehall Care Home, Formerly St Andrew's College) Including Garden Terrace Walls to South'; 'Drygrange, Walled Garden'; ' Drygrange, North Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, South Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, House to North of Steading'; 'Drygrange, Stables and Steading' and 'Drygrange, Summerhouse'.

A large, well-detailed steading and stables complex extended and converted for commercial and domestic use. Its ogee-roofed clock tower, in the 17th century manner as at Glasgow Old College, adds considerably to its interest, and it sits well within its wider context of the Drygrange estate. The building is currently occupied by the Tweed Foundation, with part of the complex known as Drygrange Stables Cottage and also in part domestic use incorporating 1 and 2 Drygrange Cottages.

List description updated at resurvey (2010).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.