History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drygrange, No 4 Drygrange Stable Cottages (House to North of Steading)

A Category C Listed Building in Melrose, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6126 / 55°36'45"N

Longitude: -2.6724 / 2°40'20"W

OS Eastings: 357740

OS Northings: 635649

OS Grid: NT577356

Mapcode National: GBR 93SJ.7W

Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.X6L4

Entry Name: Drygrange, No 4 Drygrange Stable Cottages (House to North of Steading)

Listing Date: 4 June 1991

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353005

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18839

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Melrose

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose

Parish: Melrose

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Find accommodation in
Earlston

Description

Circa 1890, G H Kinnear and J M Dick Peddie. Single-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house situated on ground sloping steeply to N. Red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Pedimented dormer-headed windows breaking eaves. Timber panelled door in pilastered doorcase at 1st floor, reached by forestair to centre bay. In-and-out quoins.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Slated roof; end stacks; stone skews.

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-Group including 'Drygrange House (Grangehall Care Home, Formerly St Andrew's College) Including Garden Terrace Walls to South'; 'Drygrange, Walled Garden'; ' Drygrange, North Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, South Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, House to North of Steading'; 'Drygrange, Stables and Steading' and 'Drygrange, Summerhouse'.

Located a short distance NE of the former Drygrange steading, this house was possibly built for the resident groom as part of the extension of the steading and stable range in 1889. It is a distinctive split-level house of red sandstone, notable for its principle entance at 1st floor with pedimented dormer breaking eaves making good use of its sloping site. Its contextual association with the steading adds to its interest, as an integral part of the wider grouping.

List description and statutory address updated at resurvey (2010).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.