History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beech Hill Lodge and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Morham, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.926 / 55°55'33"N

Longitude: -2.7362 / 2°44'10"W

OS Eastings: 354096

OS Northings: 670567

OS Grid: NT540705

Mapcode National: GBR 2T.ZP71

Mapcode Global: WH7V4.Y97X

Entry Name: Beech Hill Lodge and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 13 May 1991

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353031

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18862

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Morham

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Parish: Morham

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Haddington

Description

Earlier 19th century, with later piend and flat-roofed additions.

Single storey classical gate lodge. White painted droved ashlar frontage, pilaster quoins, and base course; white painted harling to remaining elevations; rubble lean-to to E side. W elevation: cornice and blocking course; bowed bay with 3 windows set in recessed

panels; raised pilaster quoins incised with Greek detail. N

elevation: 3-bay; doorway at centre with segmental lintel, flanked by windows and pilaster quoins, detailed as above. Piend and flat-roofed additions to S elevation, regrettably evident on entrance

approach. 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows.Purple slates; set-off ashlar corniced stack to original S wallhead;lead finial to original piend roof. White painted ashlar corniced square piers to driveway.

Statement of Interest

Beech Hill House was destroyed in 1944 by a plane crash; Lindsay Jamieson designed the new house in 1952. The stables, walled garden and summer house which belonged to the original House, still remain. The classical detail and chip carving of the Beech Hill Lodge make reference to the design of Arthur Lodge, Edinburgh, attributed to Thomas

Hamilton. The Beech Hill property belonged at this date to the Dalhousie family, for whom William Burn made alterations to Dalhousie Castle, Dalkeith, circa 1825.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.