This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9014 / 55°54'5"N
Longitude: -2.8409 / 2°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 347516
OS Northings: 667910
OS Grid: NT475679
Mapcode National: GBR 80L6.RB
Mapcode Global: WH7V3.BXFR
Entry Name: East Saltoun Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 May 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353057
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18879
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
L-plan farmhouse comprised of earlier to mid 18th century farmhouse, dwarfed circa 1920 when absorbed as rear wing of new farmhouse at right angles.
MAIN WING: circa 1920. 2-storey, 5-bay. Rubble sandstone with stugged ashlar dressings; base course and chamfered reveals to principal (W) elevation. Doorway at centre to W fanlight and panelled door, and with corbelled gabled porch above; regular windows in flanking bays at 1st floor. Rear elevation with stair window at centre above small understair window; original farmhouse to right; window to each floor in outer left bay. S elevation with door at centre and window to right. Glazing pattern largely in sash and case with 6-pane upper panels and 2-pane lowers. Grey slates, terracotta ridge tiles; stacks raised in brick.
REAR WING: earlier to mid 18th century. Probably 3-bay to E-W
originally, reduced to 2 by circa 1920 addition of new farmhouse to
W. Harl pointed rubble, stugged red sandstone dressings. 2 bays to S with low doorway to left and later window to right; 2 small 1st floor windows under eaves. Farm buildings abutting E elevation. 4-pane glazing to 1st floor windows, 12-pane at ground. Pantiles. E end stack.
RETAINING WALLS AND GATES: Grey rubble walls to E, rubble coped with large rubble buttresses. Ashlar coped rubble walls to roadside at W. Simple wrought-iron gates with moulded cast-iron posts.
Long row of early farm buildings close by farmhouse to N running
E-W. Apparently the former farmhouse served as soup kitchen for the farm, when reduced to rear wing status by the new addition. Decorative tiled porch and Art Nouveau stained glass in new part.
Other nearby listed buildings