This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9102 / 55°54'36"N
Longitude: -2.8953 / 2°53'43"W
OS Eastings: 344128
OS Northings: 668930
OS Grid: NT441689
Mapcode National: GBR 8063.Z6
Mapcode Global: WH7V2.HQH0
Entry Name: Wester Pencaitland,belfry Cottage and Old Schoolhouse with Retaining Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 13 May 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353155
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18939
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Early 19th century. Single storey and basement pair of cottages formed from former school and schoolhouse, at road junction, on ground falling towards River Tyne. Stugged sandstone rubble, squared and snecked to main elevations; ashlar dressings. W elevation: 6 symmetrical bays. Each 3-bay cottage with rectangular porch projecting at centre each with segmental panels between angle piers and simple blocking course; bipartite timber mullioned windows in panel to W and doors in panels on S returns. Single window in each bay flanking porches, taller to right-hand cottage (former schoolroom). Pupils statue seated upon inscribed tablet of schoolroom porch. Circa 1910 addition advanced to outer right, adjoined to piend-roofed addition on S gabled
elevation. Blank gable to N elevation with attic window. E
elevation: long narrow projection to right cottage at
centre, piend-roofed, with door.Birdcage ashlar bellcote to S gable of former schoolroom, currently housing boiler flue. 4-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Ashlar coped skews; end and mutual gable stacks; grey slates. Retaining walls and railings: rubble walls with semi-circular coping to terraced section to W, with wrought-iron railings.
Former school master's house to N, named Old Schoolhouse; cottage to S with bellcote, former schoolroom, named Belfry Cottage, retaining exterior pins to window shutters. The inscribed panel reads "Given by John McEwan to Robert Fosco, teacher, W H Son Cave Tom Trevelyan".
Other nearby listed buildings