This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 60.2556 / 60°15'20"N
Longitude: -1.2896 / 1°17'22"W
OS Eastings: 439418
OS Northings: 1152587
OS Grid: HU394525
Mapcode National: GBR R15M.MRM
Mapcode Global: XHD2R.MH47
Entry Name: Weisdale, Weisdale Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 18 October 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353171
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18954
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: Shetland West
Traditional County: Shetland
1863. 3x3-bay symmetrical Gothick hall church with bellcote to entrance gable at S. Harled walls with droved sandstone ashlar margins and projecting cills to windows.
S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical, gabled porch centred at ground with pointed-arched window in gable and vertically-boarded timber entrance door to E. Blind pointed-arched window centred over porch, set into advanced and shouldered centrepiece in principal gable breaking gablehead as harled plinth to corniced ashlar birdcage bellcote with bell-cast pyramidal slate cap; pointed-arched windows flanking porch at ground; gable framed by square ashlar buttresses breaking eaves as obelisk-like pinnacles.
E ELEVATION: pointed-arched window in each regularly-spaced bay.
N (REAR) GABLE: 2-bay gable with tall pointed-arched windows rising into gablehead.
W ELEVATION: matching E elevation, but with right bay obscured by modern flat-roofed addition.
Timber fixed-lights to pointed-arched windows with Gothick astragal pattern in arch-heads. Purple-grey slate roof with ashlar skew copes; bracketted skewputts and urn finial to N gable.
INTERIOR: open timber roof to entrance porch; stop-chamfered surround to border-glazed and panelled inner vestibule door with plate glass pointed-arched fanlight above. 2-leaf 8-panel door leading from vertically-boarded inner vestibule to hall. Raked timber floor and vertically-boarded wainscoting to hall; horizontally-boarded pews behind vertically-boarded principal pews with balustraded backs and ball-finialled newel posts facing timber pulpit centred in N gable comprising balustraded platform with panelled lectern at centre and ball-finialled balustrades to symmetrically-disposed steps, tripartite gothic panel rising behind with applied foliate carving and urn finials.
CHURCHYARD WALL: modern harled wall enclosing entrance area; wrought-iron gates bearing dates 1863 and 1963.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This former free church presides over the Kergord Valley at the head of the Weisdale Voe. The stop-chamfered inner door suggests that the porch is a later addition.
Other nearby listed buildings