This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2239 / 57°13'26"N
Longitude: -2.1865 / 2°11'11"W
OS Eastings: 388839
OS Northings: 814815
OS Grid: NJ888148
Mapcode National: GBR XK.SQ5K
Mapcode Global: WH9Q9.DP2F
Entry Name: Parkhill Pumping Station, Including Pumping House, Lade Aqueduct and Tanks
Listing Date: 20 February 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353179
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18957
Building Class: Cultural
Location: New Machar
Electoral Ward: East Garioch
Parish: New Machar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1898. Pumping station consisting of 2-storey and attic, 3-bay pumping house built against terraced earth bank,with lade carried on an aqueduct adjoining at rear; large T-plan water tanks to SE. Mass concrete construction. Aqueduct of mass concrete, probably with some metal re-inforcement (see Notes).
PUMPING HOUSE: symmetrical, 3 bays. Moulded string course at ground floor stepped around central carved and dated crest. Shallow arched window openings. Central segmental-arched opening at ground, now blocked; flanked by paired windows, that to right changed to entrance; evidence of later single storey pitched roof porch (now removed). 2 windows at 1st floor. Canted attic dormers. Pair of entrances with boarded timber doors at 1st floor of W gable. Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof, grey slates, straight skews, coped stacks with octagonal clay cans.
INTERIOR (partially seen 2012): 2 turbine pumps at ground floor (1 original).
LADE AND AQUEDUCT (at NJ 88812 814831): 2 concrete arches adjoined to N (rear) elevation of pumping house supporting bellied lade, corbelled to S; adjoined at a right angle to aqueduct spanning to that in channelled earth bank to N; aqueduct with vaulted base. Retaining wall to bank.
WATER TANKS (at NJ 88843 14815): circa 1898. Large T-plan, flat-roofed concrete tanks sited on falling ground to SE of house.
Parkhill Pumping Station is a rare and distinctive example of a late 19th small-scale pumping station. The design of the building utilises the natural change in levels of the landscape for hydraulic power and the distinctive aqueduct is unusually adjoined to the rear elevation to give the appearance of a single structure. This collection of buildings form a functional grouping that are a prominent feature in the landscape.
It is probable that the lade and aqueduct have been constructed with some form of metal reinforcement in order to strengthen the structure and achieve the span. It is possibly one of the earliest uses of reinforced concrete in Scotland, predating the Sentinel Works, Glasgow (1903-04) the Lion Chambers, Glasgow (1904-08), and the Aluminium Works at Kinlochleven (1905-1909) (see separate listings).
The pumping station pumped 650-750 cubic metres (max 1700 cubic metres) of water daily from the Kennel Park and Arieburn Springs uphill to the Lower Overton Reservoir to supply water for the village of Dyce. The turbine pumps were originally water powered. Water was diverted from the Goval Burn at Bridgehaugh along the lade and filtered by screens which had to be cleaned every 3 hours. In the mid 20th century the turbine pumps became powered by electricity, before the site was closed and sold in the late 20th century.
The supervisor's accommodation was originally in the upper part of the pumping station accessed by a walkway to an entrance on the W gable. In the early 20th century a separate building was constructed for the supervisor and the original accommodation became offices.
List description updated, 2012.
Other nearby listed buildings