History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saline Village,bridge Street,former Free Church

A Category B Listed Building in Saline, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1159 / 56°6'57"N

Longitude: -3.5722 / 3°34'20"W

OS Eastings: 302336

OS Northings: 692575

OS Grid: NT023925

Mapcode National: GBR 1T.LMFP

Mapcode Global: WH5QJ.3J6T

Entry Name: Saline Village,bridge Street,former Free Church

Listing Date: 24 October 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353184

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18962

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Saline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Parish: Saline

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Saline

Description

Louis Mercer,1844,built as Free Church in picturesque style of cottage/school architecture.Rectangular-plan hall-church with advanced bay centre in gabled street (south) elevation;altered,presently being converted to dwelling (1990).Coursed rubble,ashlar with raised margins;broad-eaved and low pitched slated roof.South gabled front:nave-and-aisle arrangement,main roof continuing over advanced centre.Timber-moulded mutule brackets at eaves and elaborately carved decorative bargeboarding at advanced ccentre,originally with scroll and fleur-de-lis motifs,timber finial and pendant with bosses at apex,and finely carved brackets with bosses at angles (4 projecting S and EW).All timberwork detailed with raised margins.Unfortunate wide slapping in centre has resulted in loss of original round-headed leaded-glass window (being reinstated,with roundel to be introduced above, 1990).Wide band course at springing point of window arch in advanced bay only.Pair of flanking doorways at aisles also in shallow raised margins with arched lintel detail (original doors 4-panelled with lugged mouldings).Finely moulded arch bellcote on moulded base and scrolls;weather vane at apex.Single stack over north gable (that matching on south lost) with tapering chimney-cans on double-cube bases.Pair axial ventilators also lost.Bipartites to plain 3-bay east and west elevations (splayed reveals on interior).Interior mostly gutted (1990):slim chamfered ?timber supports and collarbeam roof;wall rubble,stripped to bare.Access to basement originally via-lean-to attached at north (basement blind except for 2 sunk and boarded openings with chamfered dressings and stugged lintels at west).Rubble garden wall,and shouldered Tudor arched garden gateway (wide chamfered margins) to NW of church,presumably contemporary.

Statement of Interest

Being converted to dwelling 1990:description applies to church as seen in September 1990,with notes on former and proposed appearance.Although Louis mercer was paid 6 shillings by Simpson as mason and wright (Deacons Court Minutes,courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit),it is perhaps likely that the design of the church is attributable to a more prominent architect,the name of Louis Mercer being rather obscure.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.