This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5614 / 55°33'41"N
Longitude: -2.9555 / 2°57'19"W
OS Eastings: 339828
OS Northings: 630160
OS Grid: NT398301
Mapcode National: GBR 74S4.X6
Mapcode Global: WH7WS.KGTX
Entry Name: Hangingshaw House with Terrace Walls and Summer Pavilion
Listing Date: 23 August 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353189
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18966
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
1846. 2-storey, gabled Jacobethan house. Attic to taller bay and 1st floor windows breaking eaves in those flanking to S. Small gabled wing to E demolished, circa 1980. Sandstone rubble, squared and snecked with droved ashlar quoins and polished margins; chamfered reveals; base course. Stone mullions.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 gabled bays. Centre bay recessed with tripartite fanlit doorway, beed and hollow door surround (panelled door); depressed archway to ashlar porch linking with advanced outer bays, with roll-moulded surround, corniced blocking course, armorial shield at centre and small blank shields in spandrels; bipartite and transomed, corniced 1st floor window above. Taller bay advanced to right with large, hoodmoulded tripartite window at ground and single window above, corbelled stack at apex with panelled base; single storey bay advanced to left with window.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay. Gabled centre bay advanced with projecting rectangular tripartite window at ground with moulded blocking course, hoodmoulded 1st floor window and smaller attic window; apex stack detailed as above. 2 bays to left masked at ground by large, canted window with blocking course, bays to right with hoodmoulded bipartite and single window at ground; 1st floor bays flanking centre all with windows breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads.
E ELEVATION: former outer wing to right demolished. Advanced bay to outer left, blank with corbelled stacks at apex. Recessed M-gabled bays to centre and right with door at centre, large square fanlight, and window above; 2 1st floor windows. Lean-to stove porch with bipartite window in re-entrant angle of advanced bay. Variety of glazing patterns, mainly 12-pane, in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Gablet coped skews with bracketted skewputts and stone finials. Rendered and coped diamond stacks, grouped in 3s at intervals.
INTERIOR: flagstone hall; swept timber staircase with barley sugar balustrade; decorative classical timber chimneypieces and plaster cornices. Panelled shutters.
HANGING TERRACES AND GARDEN WALLS: to S of house on steeply falling ground. Terraces, possibly 16th century. Rubble. Upper retaining terrace with crinkle-crankle detail. Buttresses at intervals. Balustraded walls flanking former flight of steps leading down terraces by house, with rusticated dies, currently in poor condition. Curtain wall by house rendered, with channelled ashlar piers and decorative finials. Keystoned, round-arched pedestrian gateway with ashlar jambs and impost blocks.
SUMMER PAVILION: circa 1930. Classical, colonnaded 4-bay loggia closing middle terrace. Ashlar Doric columns, pilasters, entablature.
Hanginshaw stands on the site of a 15th century tower house of this name, after which date the hanging terraces may have been constructed; a house was built to replace the castle in the 18th century, but this was destroyed by fire circa 1765. The Murray family owned the house in the 18th century, but it was bought by the Johnstones of Alva in the later part of the century. The remains of the fine designed landscape surrounding the house are of considerable importance, its form evident on early maps. Hanginshaw is apparently one of five "hanging" gardens in the area, others being at Elibank, Neidpath, Torwoodlee and Whytebank. The variety of trees and their mayurity is impressive. The summer pavilion was previously used as a pigsty (Inventory). The house has recently been restored. The South and East Lodges are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings