This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0484 / 56°2'54"N
Longitude: -4.812 / 4°48'43"W
OS Eastings: 224958
OS Northings: 687518
OS Grid: NS249875
Mapcode National: GBR 09.QYS3
Mapcode Global: WH2LX.17TJ
Entry Name: Shandon, Shore Road, South Lodge (Formerly Lodge to West Shandon)
Listing Date: 18 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353194
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18970
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
J T Rochead, 1852. Single storey and attic, Jacobethan former lodge to West Shandon House. T-plan with entrance tower in re-entrant angle. Lime-washed rubble with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings. Shaped gables; hoodmoulds; quoin strips; blank plaques; decorative finials.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical, advanced bay at centre; shaped gable; canted bay window, sandstone mullions and transoms, half-piended ashlar roof. Slender window at centre of gablehead. Narrow round-headed windows on left return and recessed to left. Door in re-entrant angle to right at foor of tower, segmental-headed with stepped hoodmould, diagonal
buttress; quasi-broached to octagonal turret over, round-headed lancets, continuous hoodmould, cornice, lead ogival roof with finial. Modern flat-roofed addition to S built against former sandstone gatepier, rendered boundary wall curves to right around SW side.
N ELEVATION: flue projecting at centre of gable, off-set with sawtooth coping rising to apex stack.
S ELEVATION: obsured by wall. Advanced block, shaped gable. Stepped tripartite window at ground; single window at gablehead. uPVC windows. Grey slate roof with lead flashings. Broad apex stack on pedestal base, twin diamond-set stacks, that to right truncated. Ashlar coping to skews and bracketted skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
West Shandon, a Scots Jacobethan house, was built in 1852 by J T Rochead for Robert Napier to house his large art and library collection. An extensive garden with greenhouses and ponds was also built to accommodate his collection of rare plants. Napier died in 1876 and the house was reopened as Shandon Hydropathic. The house was demolished in 1960 and gardens redeveloped as part of the development of the Clyde Submarine Base. The South lodge, apart from the garden wall and bartizan on the Shore Road, is the only remaining structure
relating to the house. It mirrors the Jacobethan design of West
Shandon. The lodge has an unsympathetic addition to the S and is sited directly on the busy service road to the Clyde base and industiral units nearby. The architect J T Rochead was also responsible for the design of Blairvadich which is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings