This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9467 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.1914 / 3°11'28"W
OS Eastings: 325692
OS Northings: 673266
OS Grid: NT256732
Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.1S
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSGL
Entry Name: 1, 2 and 3 Greyfriars Place
Listing Date: 8 May 1975
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353196
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18972
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier 19th century, incorporating earlier fabric. 4-storey 4-bay tenement with shops at ground floor, bowed to corner at entrance to Greyfriars churchyard. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings; ashlar (painted) to ground floor; rubble to side and rear. Cill courses at 1st and 3rd floors. Moulded projecting eaves cornice. Windows in moulded surrounds.
E (GREYFRIARS PLACE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door with border glazed fanlight flanked by shop windows with border glazing to right; 2-leaf timber panelled door with blocked fanlight flanked by windows with modern glazing to left. Regularly fenestrated above.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated. 2 gabled dormers with bracketed skews to attic. Mylne monument (Greyfriars Churchyard, separately listed) adjoins at ground.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; corniced cement rendered stacks with circular cans at wallhead and ridge.
B group comprises Nos 1-5 Forrest Road, 1-3 Greyfriars Place, 4-6 Greyfriars Place, 30-34 Candlemaker Row (Greyfriars Bobby's Bar, 36-42 Candlemaker Row (including Candlemaker Hall), 44 Candlemaker Row, 46-48 Candlemaker Row, 50-54 Candlemaker Row, 56 and 56A Candlemaker Row and 58-64 Candlemaker Row. Rear elevation important to setting of Greyfriars Churchyard. There was a building on this site from the early 18th century, and although the Greyfriars Place elevation was rebuilt in the early 19th century, the rear probably incorporates this earlier building. The Dean of Guild drawings are an application to build this building and the 2 shops built out at ground floor at Nos 4, 5 and 6 Greyfriars Place. An illustration in Wilson's MEMORIALS of 'Greyfriars before the fire of 1845' shows the earlier building.
Other nearby listed buildings