History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, 5 and 6 Greyfriars Place

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9466 / 55°56'47"N

Longitude: -3.1913 / 3°11'28"W

OS Eastings: 325697

OS Northings: 673257

OS Grid: NT256732

Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.2T

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSHN

Entry Name: 4, 5 and 6 Greyfriars Place

Listing Date: 8 May 1975

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353197

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18973

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

1724, with later alterations and additions. 4-storey and attic 3-bay tenement with nepus gable, wallhead chimney and shops at ground, 1849 (see Notes).. Random rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings; painted ashlar to shops, with continuous fascia and blocking course. Door to flats at centre with narrow 3-pane fanlight. Shop to right: timber panelled door with fanlight, flanked by modern windows. Shop to left: door to centre, flanked by modern windows; narrow bowed window to left. Regularly fenestrated above. Eaves cornice. 3-light window to nepus gable: round-arched keyblocked blind window to centre; apex stack. Rear elevation irregularly fenestrated; flat-roofed dormers to attic.

12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Stone skews. Corniced stacks with circular cans to dormerhead and ridge.

Statement of Interest

B group comprises Nos Nos 1-5 Forrest Road, 1-3 Greyfriars Place, 4-6 Greyfriars Place, 30-34 Candlemaker Row (Greyfriars Bobby's Bar, 36-42 Candlemaker Row (including Candlemaker Hall), 44 Candlemaker Row, 46-48 Candlemaker Row, 50-54 Candlemaker Row, 56 and 56A Candlemaker Row and 58-64 Candlemaker Row. Rear elevation important to the setting of Greyfriars Churchyard. An illustration in Wilson's MEMORIALS of 'Greyfriars before the fire of 1845' shows this building in very much its present form, but without the ground floor shops. The Dean of Guild drawings are an application to build the ground floor shops, along with the building and shops at Nos 1, 2 and 3 Greyfriars Place; an inset plan shows how the buildings were formerly disposed, with the Flodden Wall and Bristo Port. Formerly Traill's Temperance Coffee House (at ground floor), associated with Greyfriars Bobby.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.