History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinloch Farmhouse

A Category C Listed Building in St Fergus, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5457 / 57°32'44"N

Longitude: -1.8382 / 1°50'17"W

OS Eastings: 409783

OS Northings: 850636

OS Grid: NK097506

Mapcode National: GBR P8TS.8HR

Mapcode Global: WHBQ1.QLVQ

Entry Name: Kinloch Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 September 1991

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353200

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18976

Building Class: Cultural

Location: St Fergus

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Peterhead North and Rattray

Parish: St Fergus

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Peterhead

Description

2-storey farmhouse built in phases. Conservatory addition reconstructed from the upper section of the glazed verandah at Pitfour House (demolished 1927), in front of W-facing piend-roofed and centre-doored 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse of circa 1820-40; end stacks. Full-height rear wing to SE, forming L-plan, is shallow in plan and may incorporate an earlier house. Pyramid roofed 20th century square-plan addition fills angle at NE.

Plain harled elevations; single-light windows widely spaced at earlier sections. Tall coped wallhead stacks and slate piended roofs (earlier parts re-roofed) throughout.

CONSERVATORY: (see NOTES), cast-iron water-leaf columns, decorative cast-iron mullions. Glazed roof lost; asbestos tiled roof in its place. cast-iron cresting over S door posibly also from Pitfour.

INTERIOR: drawing room in W section has low ceiling with fine gilded plasterwork; pair elaborate oak chimneypieces with mirror overmantles and tileder register grates ('GNF' insc. the family crest of the Ferguson's of Pitfour), Victorian, assembled from earlier ?17th century fragments, originally in the ballroom at Pitfour. Gilt heraldic cartouches in plaster frieae in entrance vestibule (see NOTES).

Statement of Interest

Farmhouse of historic importance because of its associations with Pitfour House and Chapel, demolished 1927.

Conservatory constructed from the top section of the 30' long verandah at Pitfour (photograph of the verandah in situ; BANFF AND BUCHAN, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, C McKEAN 1990, p92.

Gothic chair and bench from Pitfour Chapel still at Kinloch, in the vestibule, 1990.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.