This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5267 / 56°31'36"N
Longitude: -2.8997 / 2°53'58"W
OS Eastings: 344749
OS Northings: 737545
OS Grid: NO447375
Mapcode National: GBR VM.CVTV
Mapcode Global: WH7R5.F6DX
Plus Code: 9C8VG4G2+M4
Entry Name: Gagie, Gagie Home Farm, Farmhouse at No 3 Holding
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353235
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18999
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1916, removed to this site and internally remodelled circa 1920. Single storey, non-traditional, rectangular-plan farm house, formerly barrack block. Rubble footings, 2-skin boarded timber construction clad with corrugated metal; harled brick stacks. 6-pane top-hopper timber windows with vertical astragals; plain timber bargeboards and eaves.
S ELEVATION: 6 asymmetrical bays with 2-leaf boarded door and 2nd bay from left, 5 windows.
E GABLE: 2-leaf boarded door at centre.
E ELEVATION: 4 windows and 1 smaller window, 2-leaf boarded door and half-glazed door, asymmetrically placed.
W GABLE: stack at centre, window at left.
INTERIOR: boarded throughout, 2 original chimneypieces.
This building was reputedly brought from the west of Scotland where it had been used during the First World War as a barrack block. It is the sole unaltered survivor of others on the Gagie estate, most of which was acquired by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries in 1919 and divided into holdings. The Department?s extensive records in West Register House were briefly and unsuccessfully examined for this list entry. Specifications for standard hutting issued by the War Department in 1939 show what is probably a modified version of the building listed here. The building appears on the 1921 revision of the OS map. Army huts probably of a similar design were used at Parkhead, Linlithgow (Leneman). There is a ruined hemmel sometimes referred to as a chapel or mausoleum in the garden of this house (see NOTES to Gagie House).
Other nearby listed buildings