This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5043 / 56°30'15"N
Longitude: -2.8894 / 2°53'21"W
OS Eastings: 345351
OS Northings: 735047
OS Grid: NO453350
Mapcode National: GBR VM.F4V8
Mapcode Global: WH7R5.LS93
Entry Name: Westhall Farm, Farmhouse, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353261
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19023
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, T-plan farmhouse. Coursed and squared stugged rubble sandstone with some snecking, margined ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. 12-pane sash and case windows, some blind with painted astragals, out-of-character timber replacements of various designs at side elevations; eaves course at S elevation; piended roofs; tall wallhead stacks.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Panelled door at centre with plain fanlight and moulded cornice approached by 3 steps, window at left and right,
3 windows at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: advanced bays at left with 12-pane window at ground floor left, blind window at 1st floor, window at ground and 1st floor right; recessed wing at right with door and 3 windows at ground floor (centre window formed from blocked door), 3 windows at 1st, blind at centre; right return gable is blank with lean-to at ground floor (corrugated asbestos roof).
W ELEVATION: advanced bays at right with 12-pane window at ground floor right, blind at left and above right, modern glazing to window at top left; recessed wing at left with 2 windows at ground and 1st floor, small stone addition in re-entrant.
INTERIOR: foliate cornices and ceiling roses in principal rooms, some original chimneypieces and shutters; decorative cast-iron balusters; remains of box bed at 1st floor of service wing.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls at S and W.
Westhall is shown on Edward?s 1678 map. The farmhouse and steading (cartshed and granary listed) are shown on the 1858 OS map. This building replaced an earlier farmhouse, probably that to the north listed as Old Farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings