This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.495 / 56°29'42"N
Longitude: -2.9805 / 2°58'49"W
OS Eastings: 339727
OS Northings: 734091
OS Grid: NO397340
Mapcode National: GBR Z8P.0Q
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.50YN
Entry Name: Balmuir, Balmuirfield House
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353272
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19033
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Mains and Strathmartine
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Parish: Mains And Strathmartine
Traditional County: Angus
Later 19th century, extensions 1903 attributed to James Findlay. 2-storey. L-plan house. Snecked rubble and harl at sides and rear, stugged coursers at front, harled at 1st floor,ashlar margin, piended and gabled slate roof. Single and paired windows, painted canted windows at front, sash and case frames with plate glass at bottom, variety of glazing patterns at top; flat-coped skews, wallhead and shaped gables, moulded cast-iron gutters at front and sides; ridge and end stacks.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. Original 3 bays at right; French doors (original front door) at centre with astragalled fanlight and droved margins, flanked by canted windows with multi-paned glazing to top of top sashes and moulded cornices; flat roofed canted window at 1st floor right with 4-and 8-pane glazing at top sashes, shaped gable above, large multi-pane window at left, smaller shaped gable above. Later 2 bays at left: panelled and glazed door at right with fanlight and droved margins, full-height canted window and shaped gable at left as outer right but with 4-and 8-pane glazing.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Gable at centre with 2 windows at ground floor, 1 at 1st; bay at left with wallhead stack and window at far left with multi-pane glazing to top of top sash; bay at right with door and 2 windows at ground floor, part of 1st floor raised and harled to full-height, window at left.
N ELEVATION: bay at left, raised and harled at 1st floor, door and various windows, oriel at top right; later single storey dry-dashed, flat-roofed addition at right. Cheese press incised 'JO' at far right.
W ELEVATION: gable at left with window at ground and 1st floor, blank bay at right.
INTERIOR: in original condition throughout: including chimneypieces, kitchen, bathroom and pantry ceramics. Multi-pane top sash glazing in dining and drawing rooms has stained glass depicting foliage, flowers, birds, fish and portrait heads.
Part of a B Group with Balmuirfield Coach House, Mill, Road Bridge over Lade, Lodge and Road Bridge over Dichty Water. The site is one of many mill sites on the Dichty mentioned as a plash mill by Gauldie first in 1834 (John Sturrock), then in 1861-2 (A J Murdoch & Co). In 1864 Warden referred to the 'recently erected' bleachfield of A J Murdoch & Co. The 1900 OS map shows a bleachfield with many buildings, including this house. The property was owned by the Sharps of Balmuir House (listed separately, see NOTES), from circa 1872. The house was extended for Mr Moodie, the surviving drawings showing canted dormers where there are now shaped gables. The 'JO' on the cheese press refers to one of the Sir John Ogilvys of Baldovan House. There is an early 20th century turbine on the banks of the Dichty to the south.
Other nearby listed buildings