This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2254 / 56°13'31"N
Longitude: -3.4055 / 3°24'19"W
OS Eastings: 312950
OS Northings: 704539
OS Grid: NO129045
Mapcode National: GBR 20.CNWB
Mapcode Global: WH6R4.NSJD
Entry Name: Burleigh Farm
Listing Date: 17 February 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353301
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19054
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Kinross-shire
Traditional County: Kinross-shire
Farmhouse and courtyard steading. Early 19th century farmhouse and outbuildings incorporating earlier structures; substantially altered and rebuilt as improved courtyard steading later/late 19th century (sfter 1853 OS map).
FARMHOUSE: to S; circa 1820 2-storey, 3-bay S-facing house built onto earlier 2-storey, 3-bay N-facing cottage. S elevation, S block: cream stugged and coursed rubble, raised droved margins and dressings. Base course; rectangular tripartite porch advanced at centre, with block parapet and cornice, narrow 2-pane sash and case windows flanking doorway; door with 2 pointed panels and plain narrow fanlight over. Later 19th century canted bay windows with plate glass sash and case glazing, flanking porch. 3 12-pane sash and case windows at 1st. Pitched slated roof, end stacks; broad skews. Chimney stacks on gables, with plain copes. N Block: pre-dates S facing block. Entrance elevation facing N to courtyard. Roughly squared rubble, steeply pitched slated roof, end stacks. Altered at various dates; early 19th century windows at 1st floor, unfortunate modern concrete slapping to left of door. Both N and S blocks shown on 1853 OS map.
W RANGE: early 19th century (with even earlier core?), single storey, heightened and altered as single storey and attic later 19th century; many subsequent alterations. Shown on 1853 OS map. Pink stugged and roughly squared sandstone rubble, slated and corrugated iron pitched roof, stone skews. Variety of asymmetrical openings to W elevation, including later 19th century openings with chamfered lintels and bipartite window at S end. More regular series of door openings to E (courtyard) elevation. Stables at N section with 2 segmental-arched cart-shed bays to E, one blocked. Incorporates 3 bay dwelling house with 3 dormers on W elevation on E. Lower single storey end block with slated roof (piended to N) attached at N end.
N RANGE: roofless block to W. To E ?18th century single storey rubble built range with steep pantiled roof, piended at E end. Stone skews. Later 19th century louvered ridge vent with slated roof to W.
E RANGE: (cart shed and granary) early 19th century roughly squared and stugged pink sandstone rubble with contrasting cream sandstone droved dressings, 9-bay W elevation with asymmetrical openings. 5 basket-arched cart bays off-centre, 3 blocked with concrete and modern windows, right hand bay also pend; 4 square hay loft openings over. Single entrance bay to left, 3 bays to right, with pair vehicular entrances, with sliding vertically boarded doors. E elevation with lean-to corrugated iron roofed shed originally containing water powered sawmill (some good agricultural machinery extant 1991).
Cattlecourt at centre, comprising 3 COWSHED BLOCKS, that to N earliest (?18th century), cream and yellow sandstone random rubble, rounded quoins.
Pitched pantiled roof; relieving arch over wide entrance in W gable, both wide entrances at W and E with timber lintels.
Attached to S 2 identical ranges of later/late 19th century date, incorporating rubble fragments of earlier structures.; very borad on plan, steeply pitched roofs with diamond pattern felt tiles; glazed at ridges. Glazed oculi in gable ends with raised margins; margin concrete in 4 sections at S range, ashlar in 26 voussoirs at centre range. Single-span BRIDGE TO E of E range over lade, originally carrying water source to waterwheel on E elevation of E range.