This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3149 / 55°18'53"N
Longitude: -4.5735 / 4°34'24"W
OS Eastings: 236781
OS Northings: 605333
OS Grid: NS367053
Mapcode National: GBR 4C.797X
Mapcode Global: WH3RM.QNBW
Entry Name: Blairquhan Estate, Walled Garden, Greenhouse and Terrace
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353388
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19099
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1816-20 with later alterations. Ashlar-coped garden wall (brick-lined stone to N, brick to E and W) around three sides of an area approximately 110 x 60m, with large lean-to S-facing greenhouse with columned, pedimented portico against centre of N wall and ashlar-coped brick terrace walls terminating in corniced, panelled stone piers supporting carved stone urns.
GREENHOUSE: circa 1820 with later additions. Central section with advanced, glazed, tetrastyle Corinthian portico; long, lower wings on sandstone base walls to each side. 4 painted sandstone Corinthian columns and ornamental cast-iron finial to portico. INTERIOR: cast-iron brackets; plant shelves supported by cast-iron pilasters with floreate detailing in panels. Underground rooms beneath.
An extensive and well-preserved early 19th century walled garden containing a greenhouse with handsome ornamental features. The garden is unusual in having no south wall, the upward slope on this side of the site being sufficiently steep to protect it naturally. It forms an integral part of the designed landscape of the Blairquhan estate, although it has undergone a number of significant changes since it was first designed: in the later 20th century it was used as a commercial forest nursery before assuming its current appearance as an ornamental garden. The garden was originally laid out by John Tweedie in 1816.
The two outer wings of the greenhouse appear to be later additions, and the glazing of the greenhouse has been replaced with larger panes over the course of the 20th century. The interior cast-iron work is branded Simpson & Farmer, Glasgow. The underground rooms below the greenhouse are thought to have been used for mushroom culture.
The Blairquhan estate was remodelled to its present form by David Hunter Blair in the first half of the 19th century, when the castle of Blairquhan (listed separately) was also significantly rebuilt to the designs of William Burn. A number of other buildings and bridges on the estate are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings