This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7916 / 54°47'29"N
Longitude: -4.4297 / 4°25'46"W
OS Eastings: 243880
OS Northings: 546791
OS Grid: NX438467
Mapcode National: GBR HJF1.HN3
Mapcode Global: WH3V6.XTSJ
Entry Name: Sorbie Old Parish Church and Churchyard
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353481
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19184
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Built circa 1750, probably to design by James Douglas; restored 1826. T-plan church with long 4-window, elevation single bay jamb to N containing private family gallery for Earl of Galloway. Complete to wallhead but roofless. Rubble-built with granite margins and squared rubble quoins. S ELEVATION: 4 regular round-arched windows, raised granite margins, bold keystones.
W GABLE: chamfered door to ground, square-headed window/gallery door above.
E GABLE: low door to ground, above this polished cream sandstone margins for large opening, probably door to the gallery, probably part of the 1826 repairs and improvements. This gable is thickly covered by Ivy.
N JAMB: squared granite doorway to ground, above this a boldly detailed egg and dart moulded panel (now blind). Over this a bracketed chimney stack flanked by scrolls; all this work in polished red sandstone. It is the execution of these details which suggest John Douglas as the architect, similar bold decoration is found at Galloway House, designed for the Earl of Galloway in 1745 by Douglas. Internally sockets for gallery floor joists can be seen. In the N jamb, a polished red sandstone chimneypiece.
CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard containing many good 18th and 19th century stones. To W of the church a rectangular-plan classical mausoleum to the Stewart family probably also to the designs of Douglas. Rubble-built with polished red sandstone smooth rusticated quoins. Round arched door to S with rusticated surround and alternate bold voussoirs. Moulded red sandstone panel above with Stewart Arms and dated ANNO 17–. Eaves cornice, blocking course. Gatepiers with ball finials.
In use until later 19th century. The thick covering of ivy makes it difficult to ascertain whether the whole N jamb is in fact an addition to a rectangular church. A print of the church in its original state is on display in Sorbie Parish Church, Millisle.