This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9975 / 54°59'50"N
Longitude: -4.5285 / 4°31'42"W
OS Eastings: 238356
OS Northings: 569911
OS Grid: NX383699
Mapcode National: GBR 4F.W7M4
Mapcode Global: WH3T6.DNT7
Plus Code: 9C6QXFWC+XJ
Entry Name: Stables, Penninghame Open Prison
Listing Name: Penninghame Open Prison (Formerly Penninghame House) with Stables and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 30 January 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353498
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19200
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Attributed to Brown and Wardrop, dated 1869 over door. Large asymmetrical Gothic house. 2-storey and attic, 3-stage square tower to SW. Coursed squared and packed whinstone rubble walling with contrasting polished cream sandstone dressings and quoins. All windows mullioned and transomed, sash and case with 2-pane plate glass glazing. Attic windows set in gablets.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay with tower to right, maindoor at base of tower. Roll-moulded doorway with heraldic panel above, stepped string course above. To centre, recessed bay with to left, square projecting 3-light window to ground.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay with tower to left. To right, projecting canted bays to ground with embattled parapets flank blind central bay; tripartites to 1st flank single window. Tripartite attic windows in gablets.
N and E elevation similarly detailed, to N elevation in service quarters, parts of earlier 19th century house survive. Tall Neo-Tudor stacks in groups, slate roofs.
INTERIOR: well preserved interior. Hall with scale and platt open stair, barley-sugar twist balusters and arched screened 1st floor landing and cupola. Most chimneypieces original, doors, panelling etc. Sliding concertina screen to dining room. Good simple plasterwork throughout. STABLES: contemporary with house and to N. U-plan 2-storey stable block. Oculi under eaves of central range to courtyard, decorative weathervane above; lean-to to rear. Stone forestiar to exterior elevation of W range. Flat lintels to carriage openings to courtyard elevations.
WALLED GARDEN: rectangular garden to W of house with 2-storey corner pavilion, piend-roofed with single storey gabled wing, and with lean-to service buildings to outer elevation.
As Brown and Wardrop executed the sensitive additions and alterations to original plans in 1869 it seems certain that they were the architects of the original house.