History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blairs College New Chapel

A Category A Listed Building in North Kincardine, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0991 / 57°5'56"N

Longitude: -2.1942 / 2°11'38"W

OS Eastings: 388334

OS Northings: 800914

OS Grid: NJ883009

Mapcode National: GBR XL.1VTX

Mapcode Global: WH9QW.8TDN

Entry Name: Blairs College New Chapel

Listing Date: 22 December 1992

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353539

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19227

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Maryculter

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: North Kincardine

Parish: Maryculter

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Maryculter

Description

Robert curran of Warrington (architect), foundation stone 1899, elaborate interior C J Menart 1910-11. Transitional Gothic hall church with 3 stage buttresses tower and slender masonry spire at NE angle, apse at W (liturgical E). Grey Rubislaw granite tieh pink sandstone tracery. Entrance through base of tower at NE, canopied niche above, 2-light belfry stage, crenellated parapet and angle finials; lucarnes to spire, upper set diminutive, and delicate iron weather-vane. Elaborate cusoed Geometric tracery to 3 3-light apse windows; crenellated parapet and angle pinnacles, facetted roof. Polychrome banded slate roof (blue-grey and purple slates, red ridge tiles).

INTERIOR: very elaborate marble work throughout particularly in chancel and sacristy, above carved timber stalls, all by Menart. 3 cusped lights to each of 8 windows to S, 5 to N, plus transept. Single window in chancel continuing from nave, 3 to apse. Large 6-light E (liturgical W) window with clear glass. Baldacchino over altar (altar table now brought forward). Good stained glass of Saints (mainly Scottish) in apse windows. Braced barrel vaulted, timber lined roof.

Statement of Interest

Cost of chapel approx £8,000 defrayed by Mgr Lennon of Liverpool who selected the architect. Marble taked down, cleaned, and refixed, 1984, marble types used including Sicilian, Languedoc, and Fantastico Arni (see BLAIRS magazine, 1984).

Up-graded to category A from category B, 9 September 1993.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.