History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Minnigaff, Millcroft Road, Minnigaff Mill

A Category B Listed Building in Minnigaff, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9642 / 54°57'51"N

Longitude: -4.4842 / 4°29'2"W

OS Eastings: 241060

OS Northings: 566110

OS Grid: NX410661

Mapcode National: GBR 4G.YCV8

Mapcode Global: WH3TF.2HY6

Entry Name: Minnigaff, Millcroft Road, Minnigaff Mill

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353627

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19299

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Minnigaff

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Newton Stewart

Description

1823 (dated). 4-storey former corn mill. Converted to residential

use, 1992. Rubble; squared granite quoins and rybats; chequered quoins to SE angle. Smaller square windows at 3rd floor.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: approximately 4-bay (1-2-1). Modern door out-of-line to right bay to left of centre. Regularly disposed fenestration; except windows out-of-line to left at ground floor of bays to left of centre and to right, and windows out-of-line to either side at 1st floor of bay to left of cente.

S ELEVATION: window to each floor of right of centre.

W ELEVATION: (pre-conversion, 1991) 4-bay (1-2-1). Regularly disposed fenestration at 2nd and 3rd floors. 3 irregularly diposed windows at 1st floor. 5 irregularly disposed windows at ground floor. Area of rubble-faced and stugged granite in bay to left of centre, in original situation of wheel. Stone incribed "I B 1823" at ground floor in bay to right of cente.

N ELEVATION: windows to right of centre at ground, 1st and 2nd floors. Variety of small-pane glazing; some 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows, 6-pane glazing to upper floor, some tilt-and-turn. Graded grey slates to piended roof. Piend-roofed single storey former workshop range to SE; converted to residential use, 1992.

Statement of Interest

Minnigaff Mill ceased use as a meal mill circa 1900; it is marked as "disused" on the OS Map of 1907. The mill was used for storage until its conversion to 6 flats in 1992. According to Donnachie, the mill had a large cast-iron breastshot wheel; the lade is still traceable. Donnachie describes Minnigaff Mill as "a substantial mill of its period still in good structural order".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.