This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9656 / 54°57'56"N
Longitude: -4.4823 / 4°28'56"W
OS Eastings: 241183
OS Northings: 566256
OS Grid: NX411662
Mapcode National: GBR 4H.Y687
Mapcode Global: WH3TF.3GT5
Entry Name: Minnigaff, the Old Schoolhouse and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353632
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19303
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Circa 1900. 2-storey former school house. Whin rubble, squared and snecked to E elevation. Red sandstone bull-faced dressings. Long and short quoins. Smooth margin drafts and angle margins. Chamfered cills. Overhanging eaves.
E (MILLCROFT ROAD) ELEVATION: gable advanced to right; gabled bay to left; porch at centre set in re-entrant angle. Canted porch; timber-finialled gable over panelled door to SE; window to flanking faces. Small 2-light window above at 1st floor. 3-light window at ground floor and 2-light window at 1st floor to outer bays.
S ELEVATION: gabled bay at centre. Window to left at ground and 1st floors. small at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay at centre. Window at centre at ground floor.
W ELEVATION: piended bay to left; window at ground and 1st floors. Piended wing advanced at centre; boarded door to left and small window to right at ground floor to left return; window to right at 1st floor to W; window at centre at ground floor to right return. Single storey piended outbuilding adjoined to corner to left.
Sash and case windows, with small-pane upper sashes and plate glass lower sashes. Corniced red sandstone ashlar stacks, gablehead to N and S, wallhead to wing to W. Small grey slates. Red ridge tiles; several ball finials. Low rubble wall; concrete saddleback-coping. Small red sandstone gatepiers. Hooped railings and gates.
The Old School House is not shown on the OS Map of 1894; it is shown
on the OS Map of 1907. The Old School House is situated to the N of the former school, which is now used as a Youth Hostel (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings