This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8784 / 54°52'42"N
Longitude: -4.8101 / 4°48'36"W
OS Eastings: 219813
OS Northings: 557353
OS Grid: NX198573
Mapcode National: GBR GHHT.9G3
Mapcode Global: WH2SJ.2NQ0
Entry Name: Glenluce, Ladyburn Masonic Temple, (Former Ladyburn Church), with Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353653
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19324
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Luce
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
John McLachlan, 1889 (dated). Gothic church, with adjoining hall
and vestry. Rubble; squared and snecked to S elevation; painted to N above hall and verstry. Red sandstone ashlar dressings. Pointed-arched lights. Chamfered and quoined margins. Eaves course. Saddleback-coped skews; gabletted skewputts on skewblocks. Grey-green slates to deeply-pitched roof. Red tile ridging. Leaded ventilator to ridge. Original rainwater goods. Windows mainly blocked.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: hoodmoulded pointed-arched window with 5-light tracery, stepped up over porch below; miniature stepped 3-light window in apex of gable; cusped detail at apex. Rectangular-plan porch advanced from gabled buttresses; gabled over doorway at centre to S, with cusped detail at apex; cusped arcade, linking gable to raised gabled side wall s; hoodmoulded and moulded pointed-arched doorway, with escutcheon inscribed "1889" and surrounding floreated carving in apex, and double-leaf boarded doors; cusped lancet window to left and right; buttress to outer left and right; cusped lancet window to E and W returns. Cusped lancet window to left and right of porch.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay. Gabled bay to outer left, with stepped 3-light window. Paired lights in remaining bays. Hall adjoined to right.
E ELEVATION: 4-bay. Gabled bay to outer right, with stepped 3-light window. Paired lights in remaining bays. Hall adjoined to right.
N ELEVATION: round window; miniature stepped 3-light window in apex of gable. Piend-roofed single storey hall and vestry adjoined at ground, and advanced to W beyond W elevation of church; steps to door to S return; 3 windows to W; 5 windows to N; door to left and 2 windows to right to E. Wallhead stack to left to N.
INTERIOR: 2 aisles to 4-bay nave; pointed-arched arcade on bell-capitaled columns, except depressed arches in end bays to N. Coombed timber ceiling. Timber Gothic arcaded and quatrefoiled communion rail to N; decroative bracketted light fittings. 2 doors to vestry and hall to N. 2 doors to vestibule to S; marble mural tablet in vestibule. Depressed-arched embrasures. Original pews, some removed to N.
STAINED GLASS: stained glass in 3-light window to W. Centre light in 3-light window to E, "All power is given to me", by William Meikle & Sons, Glasgow, 1905 (see NOTES). Coloured geometric-pane leaded glazing (most windows blocked).
Cast-iron gateposts and 2-leaf gates to Bankfield Road; low rubble wall, with saddleback coping and railings to left; brick wall to right, adjoined to Ladyburn Bridge (see separate listing).
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Ladyburn Church was built as a
United Presbyterian Church. The memorial stone was laid on 25 June 1889, and the church was opened on 18 February 1890; it could accommodate 300.
The church was originally known as the United Presbyterian Church; it replaced the original United Presbyterian Church on this sites, built in 1818. Following the union of the United Presbyterian and Free Churches in 1900, it became known as Ladyburn United Free Church; a local union with Wilson Memorial United Free Church occurred in 1911, and this church became known as Glenluce United Free Church. Becoming Church of Scotland in 1929, it became known as Ladyburn Church. Glenluce Ladyburn united with Old Luce on 7 May 1962, under the name of Old Luce, and worshipping in Old Luce Parish Church. Ladyburn Church has been used as a Masonic Temple by Lodge Luce Abbey since 1965.
The round window to the E wall, in memory of the Rev James and Mrs Pullar and Margaret Pullar, 1889, was removed to Old Luce Church (see separate listing) when it was remodelled in 1966. The side lights in the 3-light window to the E, in memory of Barbara Simpson, 1905, were also removed to Old Luce Church, and are situated in the porch.
Other nearby listed buildings