This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9428 / 54°56'34"N
Longitude: -4.8456 / 4°50'44"W
OS Eastings: 217829
OS Northings: 564613
OS Grid: NX178646
Mapcode National: GBR 41.ZLK9
Mapcode Global: WH2S9.J1S2
Entry Name: Lucewater House,former Manse with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353704
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19377
Building Class: Cultural
Location: New Luce
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Parish: New Luce
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Circa 1795, remodelled and extended in mid 19th century. 2-storey, L-plan former manse. 1795 rectangular-plan house, possibly raised in mid 19th century, with contemporary addition of slightly lower ridged jamb to W, forming L-plan to SW. Painted rubble and render. Painted raised margins to S and W; concrete lintels and raised cills to N.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2 bays to left (mid 19th century): door in bay to right, by re-entrant angle, with recessed pilastered doorcase and fanlight; window above and in bay to left. Gable advanced to right (original house), with window at centre at ground floor. Window to both floors and slate-hung gabled dormer window above to W return. 2 bays to left and W return painte rubble.
W ELEVATION: gabled. Windows to both floors to outer left and right.
N ELEVATION: stair window at centre, with small window below. Window to right at 1st floor. Gable slightly advanced to left; half-piended canted window to right and window to left at ground floor; window at centre at 1st floor. Painted rubble to right.
E ELEVATION: gabled outhouse to right and lean-to spanning remaining length of elevation at ground floor; window to N return and door to right of centre, with flanking windows, to E to lean-to; window to far right to N and boarded door to S to outhouse. Slightly advanced bay (former stair bay) with very small 4-pane window to right of centre, at centre at 1st floor; narrow window flanking advanced bay to right; window to left and right. Mainly 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows, some plate glass to N. Rendered gablehead stacks to S, W and N. Grey slates. No skews. Octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALL: tall rubble boundary wall; semicircular tile coping. Chamfered, square rendered gatepiers; pyramidal-capping. Modern timber gate.
Previously listed as "Manse of New Luce Parish". A rectangular-plan "Manse" is shown on this site on the "Plan ... of New Luce" of 1794, butaccording to the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT in circa 1794 "the manse ... is at present in a state of ruins, but orders have been given for a new one to be built". Payment for building the new manse was made in 1795
(GD 135/Box 50/6/4/1). The NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT states in 1839 that "the manse was built about thirty-six years ago".
Other nearby listed buildings