This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5469 / 55°32'48"N
Longitude: -2.286 / 2°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 382053
OS Northings: 628173
OS Grid: NT820281
Mapcode National: GBR D4G9.WD
Mapcode Global: WH8Y7.VVM0
Plus Code: 9C7VGPW7+QJ
Entry Name: Dow Brae, Smithy House Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 29 November 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353728
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19396
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Kelso and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Mid 19th century. 2-storey 3-bay house with later alterations including addition of 2nd storey (probably early 20th century) and demolition of adjacent building (probably early to mid 20th century; see notes). Squared and snecked whinstone with cream sandstone dressings. Long and short dressings.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorway at centre; timber panelled door with small rectangular fanlight; single window at 1st floor above. Single windows in bays to outer left and right.
E ELEVATION: gabled, single windows in bay off-set to left.
W ELEVATION: blank gable with raggles.
8-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; brick gablehead stack to E; truncated brick stack to W; coped gables.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped whinstone rubble boundary wall to street.
The house occupies a prominent site in this village setting at the entrance to Town Yetholm from Kirk Yetholm. The deeds to the property suggest that the site was occupied before 1808 when a renewed rental agreement was granted on the property to the family of the deceased surgeon, John Walker, although no building is evident on the first edition OS map of 1859. Historic photographs show that Smithy House was originally one of a pair of single storey semi-detached cottages. It was raised to form a 2-storey dwelling in the early 20th century. Further photographs show that the adjoining cottage to the left had a lean-to addition at the gable end which is likely to have been in use as a forge, with both the 1898 and 1919 OS maps noting a smithy in this vicinity. The single storey cottage which adjoined Smithy House was demolished at some point during the early 20th century, although the lessees of the cottage in the early to mid 20th century were blacksmiths, indicating that the forge may have still operated during this period within the local area.
(List description updated 2009)