This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.019 / 56°1'8"N
Longitude: -4.7843 / 4°47'3"W
OS Eastings: 226555
OS Northings: 684174
OS Grid: NS265841
Mapcode National: GBR 0B.SZ1C
Mapcode Global: WH2LX.HZ04
Entry Name: Rhu Village, Gareloch Road, Ardenvohr Estate, Former Stable with Tower, Greenhouses, Gates and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353865
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19503
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
1858 with later 19th century tower. Single storey, U-plan stable block with octagonal Scottish 17th century style, tower sited on loch shore and linked to stables by sandstone balustrade. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone with polished sandstone margins and dressings. Base course; chamfered reveals; crowstepped gables; eaves band; pedimented
dormerheads with ball finials.
S ELEVATION: U-plan with square setted court area. Single storey centre block of 4 segmental, cart arches, penultimate arch to left blocked as window. Single storey and attic wing to right; 4-bay with advanced 2-stage circular stair tower entrance. Boarded door at centre ground of tower, narrow window directly above; narrow windows to right and left. 2 bays to left with dormerheaded windows, that to outer left hoist door over window at ground; dormerheaded window over segmental carriage-arch in penultimate bay to left. Outer right bay with boarded, 2-leaf door at ground. Windows symmetrically
disposed at right gable; strapwork over 1st floor window. Single
storey wing to left; 2 windows flanking 2-leaf door at centre with
narrow plate glass fanlight.
W ELEVATION: 5-bay, windows of alternate widths; large tripartite timber, slate hung dormer to outer right. Balustrade runs from W wall to octagonal tower to W of stables.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey gable to outer left, windows symmetrically disposed, blank rear wall with lower gable to outer right, windows symmetrically disposed with narrow window at gablehead.
E ELEVATION: 2 dormerheaded windows symmetrically disposed to outer left and right; circular ventilation holes in line below dormerheads; window at ground off-centre to left.
8-pane and later plate glass sash and case windows, some blocked; roof lights. Grey, slate roof, corniced sandstone apex stacks.
TOWER: later 19th century, 3-stage octagonal, tower with parapet and timber boarded upper stage linked to stables at E by sandstone balustrade on rubble base. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone, polished sandstone dressings and margins. Door at S face to shore; narrow, blind windows at ground and 1st floor on each other face; plain parapet with saddleback coping on polished sandstone moulding. Boarded, octagonal structure set within parapet, SE entrance reached via good cast-iron stair with patera details and supported on Corinthian colonettes, runs along line of balustraded wall.
Good cast iron mace head railings on top of shore boundary wall.
Pyramidal asphalt roof supported on cast iron brackets, wooden ribs, cast iron finial
GREENHOUSES: lean-to greenhouse against high rubble wall immediately to E of stable; poor condition.
E GATES AND GATEPIERS: pair of ashlar gatepiers with shouldered, stacked caps and ball finial; rubble wall with ashlar saddleback coping. Ornate 2-leaf cast-iron gate, rising to fleur de lis at centre.
The stables and tower were part of the Ardenvohr estate, home of the Muir family. Ardenvohr House, now the Royal Northern Yacht Club, and the lodge to Ardenvohr are listed separately. The stables are shown on the 1st edition map of 1858 but the tower does not appear on this map; it is shown on the 2nd edition map of 1896-7. On the 2nd edition map the stables seem to have had a S range added but this is no longer
Other nearby listed buildings