This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0168 / 56°1'0"N
Longitude: -4.7815 / 4°46'53"W
OS Eastings: 226715
OS Northings: 683921
OS Grid: NS267839
Mapcode National: GBR 0B.SZS3
Mapcode Global: WH2M3.J198
Entry Name: Rhu Village, Gareloch Road, Royal Northern Yacht Club, Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 18 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19508
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Dated 1858. Single storey, former T-plan, gabled lodge with modern, single storey, flat-roofed addition to W. Scots Jacobethan details. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar margins and dressings. Bipartite, shoulder-arched windows, chamfered reveals; base course, crowstepped gables, quoins, eaves cornice. Pedimented dormerheads. Pedestalled, pedimented finials.
N (AVENUE) ELEVATION: broad, advanced gable to outer right, bipartite window, raised star motif at centre of window, Jacobethan strapwork at gablehead, apex stack. Recessed, gabled porch to left in re-entrant angle; round-arched door with bolection moulding, blank escutcheon; decorative cast-iron lamp bracket. Door, blocked as window recessed to left, banner scroll above with ball finial on pedestal at wallhead. Dormerhead recessed to left, 3 stars in pediment, ball finial at apex and sides.
E ELEVATION: advanced, broad gable, bipartite window, Jacobethan strapwork; finial. Porch recessed to right.
S ELEVATION : block to outer right, wallhead stack at centre, eaves moulding rises as pedestal, shield with date 1858, Y-shpaed rainwater goods frame datestone; window to left. Slightly advanced gable to left, 2 windows symmetrically disposed; finial. Flat-roofed extension to outer left, sandstone to left, rendered on return.
Lying 2-pane upper sash over plate glass lower sash in bipartite
windows; plate glass sash and case elsewhere. Grey slate roof with lead flashings. Tall, corniced, sandstone apex stack with circular can on E elevation, similar wallhead stack on S elevation. Moulded skewputts. Decorative cast-iron rainwater goods (painted blue), Y-shaped downpipes with sandstone gulleys and fleur-de-lis brackets on S elevation.
INTERIOR: not seen 1992.
GATES AND GATEPIERS: paired ashlar gatepiers, those to right flanking pedestrian gate; piers to left marking N and S corners of lodge. Base course, blank shield at centre, moulded surround; stacked, shouldered, conical cap with ball finial. Ornate cast-iron and wrought-iron 2-leaf gates with Jacobethan decorative detailing.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: very low, semicircular coped wall runs from left gatepier to outer left gatepier and sweeps around corner to higher rubble terrace wall to S, chamfered coping; twisted cast-iron railings with fleur-de-lys heads; punctuated by squared and snecked dies, that to outer left missing ball finial. Boundary wall delineating area of estate runs to right of right gatepier; rubble with ashlar chamfered coping.
The lodge served the former Ardenvohr House originally the home of the Muir Family and now the headquaters of the Royal Northern Yacht House. Ardenvohr House, bastion and courtyard building are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings