This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0212 / 56°1'16"N
Longitude: -4.7799 / 4°46'47"W
OS Eastings: 226837
OS Northings: 684409
OS Grid: NS268844
Mapcode National: GBR 0C.SL5W
Mapcode Global: WH2LX.KX2F
Entry Name: Rhu Village, Manse Brae(Off), Ardenconnel House
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353888
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19516
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
David Hamilton, circa 1790. 2-storey over raised basement, 7-bay symmetrical, L-plan classical block with later single storey wing to E and possibly earlier rectangular-plan gabled block to rear. Cream painted harling with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, band course, string courses, eaves band and cornice, quoin strips, chamfered reveals.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 7 bay symmetrical with sympathetic, modern single storey, 3-bay addition to outer right. Lower, slightly recessed entrance block at centre; stone steps and platt to door. Tripartite ashlar entrance bay at centre with Corinthian columned doorpiece porch supporting fluted frieze and balustraded balcony; columns answered by Corinthian pilasters. Fielded- panelled door with large rectangular, plate-glass fanlight; flanking sidelights. 2 windows symmetrically
disposed at centre of 1st floor. Flanking, slightly advanced, near- symmetrical, 3-bay wings (basement in wing to left paired windows at centre). Round-headed ashlar panel at centre of principal floor, bearing window with blind side panels; flanking windows; smaller windows symmetricaly disposed at basement and 1st floor. 3-bay, single storey block, base course and band, tripartite window at centre, flanking narrow windows, canted bay on right return.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay main block with lower and slightly recessed 4-bay block with mansard attic roof to outer left; single storey, flat-roofed block in re-entrant angle. Full-height, canted, sandstone bay to outer right; symmetrical bays to left with segmental-arched panels with tripartite segmental windows and blind sidelights at principal floor. Semi-circular tripartite basement windows with blinded sidelights and deeply stugged classical margins; blind fanlight. Round-headed ashlar panel at principal floor, window at centre, blind sidelights, blind fanlight in outer left window. Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, that to left bipartite with timber mullion. 4-bay block to left grouped in paired bays; windows symmetrically disposed except at basement; square dormers with pedimented gablet raised at centre, that to right with apex stack.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: lower, possibly earlier, 3-bay asymmetrical gabled block at rear in re-entrant angle of main block and wing. Tripartite window to outer left at ground (stone mullions), window directly above at 1st floor; 2 stair windows at centre bay; windows symmetrically disposed from ground to 2nd floor to outer right. Sandstone oculus between penultimate and outer right bay at upper floor. Square and piend-roofed dormers. Moulded eaves cornice, higher than adjoining wing to right. 5-bay wing advanced to right, with 6th narrow bay by re-entrant angle left. 2 segmental- headed arches at ground to left,
that in penultimate bay now blocked as window; windows at 1st and 2nd floor symmetrically disposed, those at 1st floor segmental- headed, raised cills (those above inner arch 16-pane sash and case). Mansard roof with 12-pane sash and case attic windows symmetrically disposed; stack with gabled pedestal between 2 end windows to right. Modern bay recessed to outer right.
Plate glass sash and case windows for main elevation; 12-pane sash and case windows for rear elevation; some modern replacements. Grey slate piend and platform roof; mansard roof for rear wing.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Ardenconnel House was the earliest of the Rhu mansions to be built. The estate, along with the lands of Lettrowalt and Blairvaddick, was bought by Andrew Buchanan, a Glasgow merchant, from the McAuleys of Ardencaple. The house originally had projecting symmetrical wings and Venetian windows. Pier Road was originally a tree lined avenue leading
from Rhu pier to Ardenconnel which was later built on when feuing of Ardenconnnel lands took place in the 1830s. The house was bought by the Colquhouns of Luss and in 1899 was set up as the Scottish holiday guesthouse of the Co-operative Holidays Association. Ardenconnel survived a fire in 1907 and is now subdivided into flats.
Other nearby listed buildings