This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0166 / 56°0'59"N
Longitude: -4.7668 / 4°46'0"W
OS Eastings: 227635
OS Northings: 683857
OS Grid: NS276838
Mapcode National: GBR 0C.SWNB
Mapcode Global: WH2M3.R19G
Entry Name: Rhu Village, Torwoodhill Road, Torwood
Listing Date: 18 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353915
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19533
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Earlier 19th century cottage, extended in 1836 with further later
additions of 1845. 2-storey, 6-bay asymmetrical, rectangular-plan, gabled villa. White- painted harl with sandstone dressings and margins. Base course; quoin strips; hoodmoulds; projecting eaves, exposed rafters.
S ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrical bays. Broad, battlemented tower bay to outer left, paired squat finials at corners; slightly advanced quadripartite window at ground, single window at 1st floor, lintel interrupting string course line of jettied parapet. Lower 2-bay entrance block flanking to right (left of centre); gabled sandstone porch to right, 2-leaf wooden door; qaudripartite window advanced to left linking porch and tower at ground with lean-to slated roof; gabled dormerheads symmetrical disposed at 1st floor. Broad gabled bay slightly-advanced to right of centre, projecting tripartite window at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor, hoodmould. Lower narrower gabled bay to outer right; tripartite window at ground, hoodmould, single window in gablehead.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay main, battlemented block with single storey wing to outer left. Full-height, sandstone canted window to outer right, sandstone decorative plaque above at centre of parapet. Canted, corbelled oriel to outer left, lead roof. Narrow door asymmetrically placed to outer left; blank wall of single storey block to outer left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 5 bays. Asymmetrical M-gable to outer left; broad 2-bay gable recessed to right abutting onto tower with single storey outbuildings at ground outer right.
E ELEVATION: 3 bays; broad bay to outer left, windows symmetrically disposed to left bay and at 1st floor of 2 bays to right. Broad, boarded garage door to outer right, narrow door with plate glass letterbox fanlight immediately to left, narrow window and broader window to left, broad window now blocked with modern timber window.
4, 8 and 6-lying pane windows, 4-pane over plate galss sash and case windows for bay to left of door. Grey slate roof, tall, sandstone, corniced stacks, octagonal cans.
The house was extended from an existing cottage in 1836 when the feuing of lands began, it was further extended in 1845. The lodge at the base of the avenue has been modernised.
Other nearby listed buildings