This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7851 / 54°47'6"N
Longitude: -4.5716 / 4°34'17"W
OS Eastings: 234734
OS Northings: 546391
OS Grid: NX347463
Mapcode National: GBR HJ21.YHC
Mapcode Global: WH3V4.RZ8J
Entry Name: Mochrum, Kirk of Mochrum, with Graveyard, Graveyard Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353927
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19540
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
1794; alterations and additions 1876-78. T-plan church; comprised of rectangular-plan church of 1794, with jamb adjoined to N, 1876-78 vestry adjoined to W, probably 1876-78. Washed rubble. Squared granite and some sandstone quoins and rybated margins. Red sandstone cornice and blocking course to porches. Mainly round-arched windows, some square-headed windows. Small-pane glazing in sash and case windows; clear glazing, except coloured textured glazing in 2 windows at centre to S elevation. Boarded doors. Granite coped skews. Small granite ball finials to apices of gableheads to N and E. Slightly graded grey slates, variegated with purple slate repairs. Several small rooflights.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-arched window to outer left and right. Gabled jamb advanced at centre. Square porch at centre to N, with round-arched window above, and tall round-arched windows flanking to left and right; porch with door to E, and window to N. Forestair to full-height square porch to E return; porch is rubble at ground floor, washed brick at 1st floor; porch with door to N, and window to E at gallery level; plain iron handrail and red sandstone steps to forestair. Small window to right to W return. Wide flight of red
sandstone steps, with plain iron handrails, up to entrance of N porch and to forestair.
E ELEVATION: detached forestair of full-height square porch at centre; forestair with granite steps, granite coped solid stone balustrade to E and plain iron handrail to W; porch with door to E, small diamond-paned window to S at gallery level, and door to N and small window to S at ground floor. Windows to left and right at gallery level, each with blocked area below.
S ELEVATION: 4 regularly spaced round-arched windows. Massive square crenellated buttress at centre; rubble with red sandstone gabletted merlons and coping; small rendered and slate-roofed lean-to boiler house adjoined to E return, with tall rendered stack in re-entrant angle; door to S, with low concrete-coped rubble wall concealing steps down to door.
W ELEVATION: piend-roofed vestry adjoined at centre and right; fanlit door to left to N; window at centre to W. Forestair to square porch to right, with porch partly incorporated in vestry at ground floor; quarter-turn forestair with granite steps and granite coped solid stone
balustrade to S; rendered porch with fanlit door to S. Window at centre at gallery level. Blocked tall opening to left at gallery level. Decoratively coped granite birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead; red sandstone base supported on granite corbels; bell; surmounted by ball finial.
INTERIOR: painted plaster walls and timber dadoes. Coombed ceiling to main body of church. Coombed ceiling to N gallery, with basket-arch over to E. panelled galleries to N, E and W, each supported on 2 cast-iron columns; fluted pilaster detailing to panelling; organ in
gallery to W. Pulpit at centre to E, with hexagonal sounding-board; flanking Ionic columns and fluted frieze to rear board; brass war memorial (1914-1919) plaque to front panel of pulpit. Stone font. Timber communion table and lectern, Timer pews. Stone corbels below
(not supporting) E and W galleries. Timber vestibule screens at centre to E and W.
GRAVEYARD: large graveyard, extended in 1866 and 1900. 18th, 19th and 20th century monuments. Fine 18th century gravestones. Some tablestones.
GRAVEYARD WALLS: built 1867. Rubble coped rubble walls. Wall to W mutual with Greenmantle Hotel (former Manse) (see separate listing), with outbuilding of Greenmantle Hotel incorporated in wall.
GATEPIERS: pair of dressed granite square gatepiers, with stepped capping and ball finials, to SE; cast-iron 2-leaf gate. Similarly detailed 2-leaf gate to NE. Modern gates to gateway to N. 2 cast-iron lamp standards flanking N gateway within graveyard.
Other nearby listed buildings