This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7584 / 54°45'30"N
Longitude: -4.5486 / 4°32'55"W
OS Eastings: 236099
OS Northings: 543365
OS Grid: NX360433
Mapcode National: GBR HJ44.36G
Mapcode Global: WH3VC.3N7H
Entry Name: Monreith, Myrton Chapel
Listing Date: 17 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353954
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19565
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Pre 1848. Small former chapel, adjoined to former stable block. Chapel in slightly lower gabled jamb, adjoined at centre to W elevation of rectangular-plan stable block. Rubble. Red sandstone ashlar dressings; droved chamfered margins; crowsteps and skewputts.
Slightly graded grey slates. Red sandstone ridge. Roof extended below eaves line of stable block.
W ELEVATION: pointed-arched window, blinded with rubble. Ashlar cross advanced in gablehead. Birdcage bellcote at apex (no bell).
N RETURN: pointed-arched window; partly blinded with rubble, glazed at apex with Y-traceried glazing.
S RETURN: blank.
INTERIOR: remains of stable stall. Modern plasterboard ceiling.
Symson, writing in 1684, states that Myrton "hath an old Chapel" (quoted in SCRAPBOOK). On the OS Maps of 1906 and 1982, "Myretoun Chapel (in Ruins)" refers to an apparently roofless, small, freestanding building to the north east of the stable block. An
article in the SCRAPBOOK relates that there is "preserved behind the stables a small rectangular and roofless building of indeterminate date which tradition says was the castle chapel, now ultilized (if it ever was a chapel) as a convenient screen for a water tank"; several other articles refer to the chapel as a roofless ruin in the stable yard. Some rubble walls still remain to the north east of the stable yard, which are possibly the remains of the early chapel referred to above. According to the written evidence therefore, the gabled chapel now
evident as such jamb is not the original chapel; by the evidence of the fabric, it appears that the former has been added onto the stable block, probably before 1848, as the jamb is marked on the OS Map of 1848. See separate listings for Monreith; Monreith House; Ice House; Myrton Cottage (Monreith Estate Office); Myrton Castle; West Gateway.
Other nearby listed buildings