This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7629 / 54°45'46"N
Longitude: -4.5834 / 4°35'0"W
OS Eastings: 233879
OS Northings: 543946
OS Grid: NX338439
Mapcode National: GBR HJ13.Z41
Mapcode Global: WH3VB.KKM1
Entry Name: Port William, Church Street, (Former) Port William Church, with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353964
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19572
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
1862; vestry/session-house by Richard Park, 1892. Rectangular-plan church. Vestry/session-house adjoined to S. Rubble. Dressed granite quoins and rybated margins. Projecting granite cills. Tall pointed-arched windows. Y-traceried small-pane clear glazing (windows boarded up, 1993). Red sandstone coped skews. Small grey slates; slightly graded to vestry. Red sandstone ridging.
N (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pointed-arched doorway at centre; 2-leaf panelled door and Y-traceried fanlight. Windows in outer bays. Pointed-arched openings, partly boarded and louvred at apex, in gablehead. Iron birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead, with small bell; pointed-arched openings and pyramidal roof.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3-bay. Regular fenestration.
S ELEVATION: gabled vestry adjoined to virtually full-width of elevation; door to left and window to right to W; window at centre to E; 2 small lean-to additions to left and centre to S; granite-dressed gablehead stack, with red sandstone cope, to S.
INTERIOR: not seen (1993).
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls. 2-leaf cast-iron fleur-de-lis gate to N.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Formerly listed as "Church of Scotland, Church Street". The Church was built as a Free Church. Following the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, it became known as Port William High United Free Church, before uniting with Port William Main Street United Free Church (now the Maxwell Hall) in 1903 to become Port William United Free Church. Following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, it became Church of Scotland under the name of Port William Church. Port William was united with Mochrum in 1951. The unusual iron bellcote is an interesting survival. Consent given for conversion to 3 dwellings (91/TP/1H31) not implemented October 1994.
Other nearby listed buildings