This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6024 / 57°36'8"N
Longitude: -2.6893 / 2°41'21"W
OS Eastings: 358903
OS Northings: 857142
OS Grid: NJ589571
Mapcode National: GBR M8QM.NQ6
Mapcode Global: WH7L1.N5LR
Plus Code: 9C9VJ826+X7
Entry Name: Park
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353994
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19597
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Much extended and altered house, with complex building history; 16th century Z-plan tower as core, with additions made throughout the 18th and 19th centuries in various styles. 3-storey, with vaulted basement, and attic. Currently H-plan with symmetrical advanced gables to N front, classical centre front regrettably demolished in late 1970s. Main entrance currently to NW. Harled with ashlar dressings.
TOWER HOUSE: rectangular block orientated E-W with square towers to NW and SE corners forming Z-plan.
CENTRE BLOCK: openings altered by later additions, some arrow slits at ground.
SE TOWER: relatively unchanged; former main entrance in SE re-entrant angle; roll-moulded, round-arched doorway, 3 small windows to stair in angle to right. 2 windows to each floor to gable, small window to attic.
NE TOWER: extended to S, openings enlarged. 1717 ADDITIONS: (for Sir James Gordon); dated monogrammed plaque to E elevation. SE tower extended northwards to balance projecting NW tower; and openings of N
gable enlarged with 4 tall outer windows, 3 smaller windows to inner bays of each gable to match extension, creating near-symmetrical N front.
1723 ADDITIONS: 3-storey bow added to E elevation, with new entrance at ground floor; roll-moulded surround to door with date and names of Sir James Gordon and wife inscribed on lintel. 3 large windows to each floor above.
LATE 18TH CENTURY: classical additions to N and S elevations; 3-storey bow added to centre block of S front; harled at ground floor, ashlar fronted above with 3 tall windows to each floor, slated conical roof.
1829 ADDITIONS: (for Col Thomas Gordon) to W elevation, extending NW tower to S. 4-storey, 2-bay square tower in Gothick style. Base course at ground to 1st floor level, blind, round-arched windows to W and to N at ground floor. 2 windows, diminishing in height at each floor to S, with exterior pelmets to 1st floor. Corbelled and crenellated parapet, corbelled angle turrets with blind, cruciform arrow slits.
1876-8 ADDITIONS: Angle between NW and 1829 towers filled with stair tower, raised in 1918. Door to this tower currently serving as main entrance, with T-plan stair (constructed from 18th century front horseshoe stair) to door at 1st floor; coped ashlar balustrade and panelled polygonal ashlar dies; window above.
INTERIOR: much altered. Vaulted basement with cellars. Some original fireplaces. Little plasterwork remains. Sash and case windows, predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews and stacks.
The mansion of Park was sold to the Gordon family in 1605, as a result of the bankruptcy of the 8th Lord Saltoun. For notes on the history of the barony, see RMS Vol 5, p13-14 No 1633, and notes compiled by the owner. The Gordons of Park married into the Duke of Fife's family, the Duffs, in the mid 18th century.
The N front had an 18th century advanced, 3-storey pedimented gable with the main entrance all 1st floor. This was demolished in the late 1970s. There was also a single storey pavilion of circa 1877 adjoining the E elevation, and a battlemented pavilion of the same date adjoining the W of the N front; also now demolished.
Other nearby listed buildings