This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5377 / 57°32'15"N
Longitude: -2.6783 / 2°40'41"W
OS Eastings: 359491
OS Northings: 849928
OS Grid: NJ594499
Mapcode National: GBR M8RS.V3D
Mapcode Global: WH7L7.TSTX
Entry Name: Marnoch Graveyard with Watchhouse, Burial Enclosures and Gravestones
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354013
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19610
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
17th century graveyard, watchhouse. 1831. Beside River Deveron, on site of earlier parish church. Ashlar coped, rubble walls with ashlar gatepiers, hooped? iron gates to N and E. Enclosing watchhouse and burial monuments; notable examples below.
WATCHHOUSE: 1831 L-plan, gabled, hailed, with ashlar margins. Door to E, irregular windows at ground floor, and at 1st floor; all currently boarded. Graded, grey slate roof, piended to SE, ashlar coped skews with some urn finials.
MELDRUM ENCLOSURE: dated 1699, Moray sandstone possibly by John Faid.
Ornate Baroque free-standing aedicular monument, in coped ashlar enclosure with balustrade. Portrait bust of George Meldrum in scrolled niche with angel in soffit, marble inscribed plaque below. Flanking Corinthian columns, entablature with strapwork frieze broken pediment with heraldic device surmounted by urn, flanked by angels with trumpets.
CHALMERS MEMORIAL: dated 1707, to Hugo Chalmers, Minister of Marnoch. Ashlar plaque in advanced pedimented memorial, built against E gable end of ruined church. Pedestal with sculpted panel, engaged Roman Doric columns, cornice and entablature, broken pediment with heraldic device, sculpted skull above in relief; panel set into gable.
INNES OF MURRAYFORD ENCLOSURE: dated 1780 neo-classical, free-standing, ashlar pedimented memorial, with coped ashlar enclosing walls and gatepiers. Central marble plaque in advanced pilastered, and pedimented panel, smaller marble plaques flanking; mounted on broken pedimented gable with heraldic device, flanking urns.
GRANT ENCLOSURE: freestanding memorial within granite ashlar coped enclosure; ashlar gatepiers and wrought-iron gates. Pedimented granite panel, set into shaped gable with urns.
The gable end of the old church remains within the churchyard. A new church was built in 1792, listed separately as Marnoch Old Parish Church, it was later (1841) usurped by New Marnoch Church in Aberchirder Burgh, also listed separately. The watchhouse was previously described as "old school with mort house under".
Other nearby listed buildings