This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7197 / 55°43'10"N
Longitude: -2.6208 / 2°37'14"W
OS Eastings: 361098
OS Northings: 647537
OS Grid: NT610475
Mapcode National: GBR B249.DH
Mapcode Global: WH8X9.QH6K
Plus Code: 9C7VP99H+VM
Entry Name: Spottiswoode, Eagle or Clock Lodges
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354051
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19654
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1796 with later additions and alterations. Single storey originally identical mirrored pair of rectangular-plan lodge houses flanking drive to Spottiswoode House. Whinstone with red sandstone dressings and harled modern additions. Base course, cill course to windows, eaves course, quoins.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay with boarded door to centre with 4-panerectangular fanlight above; date stone, 1796, above door of E lodge. Plaques flanking centre (moulded ashlar surrounds, timber boards with painted mileage to: Morpeth, Newcastle, York, London,Newcastle, Dover, Portsmouth and Hollymouth to E lodge; Crieff, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Glasgow to W
lodge); windows in each of flankingbays.
W ELEVATION OF W LODGE AND E ELEVATION OF E LODGE (OUTER ELEVATIONS): crenellated screen above end walls, merlon to centre disguising stack; blinded intersecting traceried opening to centre (less complex and broad to E lodge where with cill course and flanked by blind decorative arrow slits); quatrefoil niches either side. Later timber mono-pitched addition to W lodge at ground. Later harled single storey addition to N of each, more extensive to E lodge.
REARS OF SCREEN WALLS: circular opening with painted clocks to each (supposedly depicting time stage coaches were expected).
E ELEVATIONS OF W LODGE AND W ELEVATION OF E LODGE (INNER ELEVATIONS): bowed 2-bay elevation with windows to each bay and with semicircular and corniced gatepiers to centre, projecting from the wall, with ashlar urns. Later additions to N, with door with glazed porch to W lodge.
Modern panelled door with canopy to left of original building, window flanking, advanced bay to left with bipartite windows.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate half-piended roofs to each lodge (purple, W lodge), bowed roof to inner elevations; single cast-iron rooflights to centre S pitch. Stacks to N elevation (towards inner elevation). Piended later addition to E lodge with glazed sun porch to E elevation; flat-roofed addition to W lodge.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1995.
A pair of eagles found near the lodges, are now kept at Choicelee Farm. The lodges date from the time of the alterations to the groom's house and stables at Spottiswoode, when the kennels were built. The blinded traceried openings on the outer elevations reflect the Gothick
detailing found at the end elevations of the stables. The lodges were placed at the official entrance to the Spottiswoode estate.
The gates no longer survive. According to T Barry's and D Hall's research the panels and the clocks were added to the lodges by John Spottiswoode IV.See Notes to listing of Spottiswoode Stable Block, Groom's House etc.
Other nearby listed buildings