This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5581 / 55°33'29"N
Longitude: -2.8207 / 2°49'14"W
OS Eastings: 348326
OS Northings: 629680
OS Grid: NT483296
Mapcode National: GBR 84R5.3F
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.MKZG
Entry Name: Broomhill House with Walled Garden and Horsemill
Listing Date: 16 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354133
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19726
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Late 18th century, 2-storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse, extended circa 1820 with wing at right angles to SW forming L-plan, and service wing adjoining to NW to rear. Interior also remodelled at this time. Circa 1930 single-storey pavilion added to NW of circa 1820 wing. Harled with red sandstone margins.
SW ELEVATION: porch in re-entrant angle of circa 1820 wing, with 2-leaf panelled door and decorative fanlight with cast ornament in spandrels. Half-glazed inner door. Windows flanking to each floor, enlarged to earlier house. Advanced SW gable of wing pedimented with 2 windows to each floor. Single bay pavilion adjoining to NW. Service range recessed, window to each floor, modern attic dormer.
NE ELEVATION: rear; 2 windows at ground, tall stair window to centre at 1st floor, with enlarged window to left, window to right. 2-storey and attic service block adjoining advanced gable with door at ground and window to each floor of gable, NE elevation blank. Sash case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, coped skews, ashlar stacks with simple cornice.
INTERIOR: extended and remodelled circa 1820, with fine plasterwork and chimneypieces. Some mid-20th century alterations. Entrance hall with scalloped ceiling rose, elaborate cornice with scroll, bead and Gothic pendentive motifs, continued across bracing arch. Simple cornice to stairwell, spiral stair with foliate cast-iron balusters. Principal rooms at ground and 1st floor with fine scroll and acanthus leaf cornices, circa 1820 fire surrounds of wood and composition with marble strips, classical style with frieze incorporating naturalistic ornament. WALLED GARDEN: to SW rubble coped, rubble walls, gates with stone overthrows to NE and SW, gates later.
HORSEMILL: at rear of house, formerly served now largely demolished steading to NE, recently restored. 6 rubble piers with ashlar dressings, supporting slated conical roof.
Broomhill was formerly a working farm; the steading and associated cottages are now in separate ownership. The remodelling of the farmhouse in 1820 was probably by Edinburgh craftsmen; the interior plasterwork closely resembles interiors in Dundas Street, Edinburgh, and in Portobello, of circa 1820. The fire surrounds are also of a type made in Edinburgh circa 1820, by an as yet unknown firm of plasterers. The cast-iron stair balusters are a pattern commonly seen in the west.
Other nearby listed buildings