This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1558 / 57°9'21"N
Longitude: -3.1715 / 3°10'17"W
OS Eastings: 329229
OS Northings: 807827
OS Grid: NJ292078
Mapcode National: GBR W9.367P
Mapcode Global: WH6LT.8D0L
Entry Name: Corgarff, Our Lady of the Snows Roman Catholic Chapel and Chapel House
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354196
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19782
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1808. Small rectangular-plan chapel with stone porch at SW, voussoired round headed windows and simple interior, and single storey, 3-bay, harled cottage (former priest's house) attached at right angles. Sited just S of former Ford of Tornahaish close to Old Military Road. Chapel has boulder base course.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: elevation to NE with window to advanced gable of chapel at right; cottage to left with centre door and flanking windows. SW elevation with chapel porch set-back at left and further window at right. Out-of-character additions to NW of chapel and SE of cottage.
Small pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; modern NE chapel window; rear cottage windows enlarged to bipartites with plate glass glazing. Red slates to chapel, grey slates and cast iron rooflights to cottage. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans; ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: chapel interior very simple with original stone altar facing liturgical east, wooden tabernacle and decorative cast iron altar rails. Simple timber pews with panelled backs and boarded timber wall to SW with integral pew.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A simple but fine Roman Catholic chapel and former priest's house overlooking the Burn of Tornahaish and nearby Boilhandy, now completely hidden from view by trees. Services are held here very infrequently, and even in the 1860s services were performed only once in three weeks. The Statistical Account records a decline in population as early as the late 18th century, and continues 'there are upwards of 100 Roman Catholics, mostly residing in Corgarff, which is regularly visited by a priest of that persuasion, who resides in the neighbouring parish of Glengairden'. The new NE window was installed 2003.
Category changed from B to C(S) in 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings