History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hillswick, Northmavine Kirk, Including Kirkyard Wall, Gate, and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Shetland North, Shetland Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 60.4768 / 60°28'36"N

Longitude: -1.487 / 1°29'13"W

OS Eastings: 428302

OS Northings: 1177124

OS Grid: HU283771

Mapcode National: GBR Q1P1.MC1

Mapcode Global: XHD1J.1X5N

Entry Name: Hillswick, Northmavine Kirk, Including Kirkyard Wall, Gate, and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 13 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354322

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19900

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Northmaven

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: Shetland North

Parish: Northmaven

Traditional County: Shetland

Find accommodation in
Hillswick

Description

1733, with alterations 1764, interior recast circa 1825, further rebuilding by Roderick Coyne, 1869. 2-tier, 3 x 3-bay symmetrical gothic hall church with classical interior. Church comprises entrance vestibule and stair hall to S, galleried hall to N, and single storey gabled vestry projecting from W elevation. Harled walls with droved sandstone ashlar margins and details.

S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical with base course. Centre bay; pointed- arched 2-leaf 4-panel timber entrance door in projecting gabled and bracketted surround containing carved shield; blind windows centred above at upper tier and in gablehead; regular fenestration at lower and upper tiers in flanking bays; stone cross at gable apex on corbelled octagonal base.

W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, single storey gabled vestry projecting at lower tier in bay to left comprising window in N elevation and corniced, flat-roofed, porch to S; regular fenestration in other bays.

N (REAR) GABLE: symmetrical, regular fenestration at upper and lower tiers in outer bays, centre bay blank at ground, plaque at upper tier inscribed 'ERECTED 1869', single pointed-arched window centred in gable above, Celtic cross at apex.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical, with regular fenestration.

INTERIOR: symmetrically disposed droved ashlar dog-leg gallery stairs to E and W in entrance vestibule; decorative cast-iron balusters with timber handrails. Hall; timber fittings include vertically-boarded wainscoting and pews; cast-iron columns with decorative brackets supporting panelled U-plan gallery extending full length of E and W walls. Classical panelled timber pulpit, perron stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; fluted pilasters framing back rising to octagonal canopy with finialled ogee dome.

6-pane timber fixed-lights to S and side elevations of hall, border- glazed with patterned glass to N elevation, 6-pane timber sash and case window to vestry. Purple-grey slate roofs to hall and vestry with sandstone ashlar skew copes. Stugged sandstone ashlar wallhead stack centring W elevation, corniced with circular cans.

KIRKYARD WALL: battered harl-pointed rubble wall with rubble cope enclosing church; square rubble gatepiers with droved ashlar pyramidal caps centred on S elevation, decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

In ecclesiastical use. The galleried interior was rebuilt circa 1825 to seat 600 people. The semi-octagonal corbel at the south gablehead originally supported a bellcote. This is a large and finely finished church, its rather severe exterior contrasting well with the neighbouring timber hotel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.