History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marnan's Episcopal Chapel with School, Retaining Wall and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Aberchirder, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5586 / 57°33'31"N

Longitude: -2.6326 / 2°37'57"W

OS Eastings: 362245

OS Northings: 852235

OS Grid: NJ622522

Mapcode National: GBR M8VR.BNX

Mapcode Global: WH8MD.J8LT

Entry Name: St Marnan's Episcopal Chapel with School, Retaining Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354348

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19922

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberchirder

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Aberchirder

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Aberchirder

Description

1824-6; interior recast 1876 by A Ross, Inverness. Single-storey, rectangular-plan chapel on rising ground, with free-standing single storey former school to NE. Squared and coursed stugged granite, ashlar dressings. Plate tracery.

CHAPEL, N ELEVATION: later, gabled porch to N, probably 1876; trefoil-headed bipartite to N, round-arched doorway to W re-entrant angle with chamfered reveals and 2-leaf boarded door with decorative iron-work hinges. Rose window (wheel tracery) to gable above porch, ashlar birdcage bellcote with ogee stone roof, 2-bulb stone finial and bell, possibly re-used.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3 tall round-headed windows to E with plate tracery. 2 windows to W; centre window blocked, lean-to vestry to right.

S ELEVATION: circa 1895, large round-headed, 3-light window.

Door to vestry at left. Diamond, lead-pane glazing.

Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, cross-finial to S gable. Coped

stack to vestry.

INTERIOR: remodelled 1876 by Alexander Ross. Whitewashed walls, coffered, wooden pitched roof. Pre-Raphaelite School stained glass in S window signed Jones and Willis 1895/6; Crucifixion and Resurrection, as memorial to Rev G Boyes.

SCHOOL: 1877, to NE, built into churchyard walls. Single storey, 3-bay, with later, slightly lower single bay addition to S. Random rubble, enlarged windows. Rendered porch projecting to W. 2 windows to E, 1 window to N gable. Later, multi-pane casement and pivot windows. Grey slates, coped skews with small finials, beak skewputts.

RETAINING WALL: random rubble, rubble coped with ashlar, dome-capped gatepiers to N; simple wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Alexander Ross was known to the Episcopal Church for his unsuccessful competition design for St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh circa 1874, and worked for them again building the church at Fort William, 1880.

The School Board of Marnoch reported the Episcopal School as being in a bad state in 1873; the present building does not appear on the 1871-4 Map, and was erected in 1877 with accommodation for 99 children (Barclay).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.