This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.147 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.1017 / 2°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 393945
OS Northings: 806236
OS Grid: NJ939062
Mapcode National: GBR SBY.8J
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PMDF
Entry Name: Belmont Street, Former St Nicholas Congregational Church
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354365
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19937
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
James Souttar and William Leslie, 1865 (see Notes). Outstanding 2-storey, 5-bay Italian Romanesque former chapel now converted to nightclub with prominent highly decorative curved apse to rear, tall corner towerlets and distinctive corbelled arch motif to front and rear gables; round-arched openings. Hammer-faced granite ashlar with pale sandstone dressings. Base course, string course and upper storey cill course.
Principal (E) elevation: central round-arched doorway with stepped recessed marble Corinthianesque nook-shafts and tall narrow flanking openings. Above, large central rose stained glass window with sandstone tracery surmounted by smaller quatrefoil opening. Tall 4-stage octagonal towerlets flank entrance with top storey of free-standing columns capped by slated octagonal roof. Further tall and narrow openings to outer left and right.
Rear (W) Elevation: advanced 5-window rounded apse with columned mullions; multi-arched eaves gallery above; square corner buttresses flanking; substantial moulded cornice with 2-stage corner towers rising above, breaking eaves line at base. Regular arrangement of openings to side elevations.
Fixed-pane stained glass windows throughout; grey slate; coped stacks set low on N pitch of roof; clay cans. Cast-iron rain water goods.
INTERIOR: Many original features remain including gallery with interlacing-arch detailing. Good stylised floral stained glass windows. Painted ceiling in apse with roundels depicting biblical symbols. Fine plasterwork throughout. Some interior alterations to accommodate nightclub.
This striking building with its intricately detailed Romanesque apse is designed to be viewed from a distance, particularly from Union Terrace and the Rosemount and Union Street viaducts. The tall tourelles (towerlets) at each corner of the building are overscaled to give it even greater landmark presence, providing a valuable contribution to Belmont Street and the wider Aberdeen skyline. The Italian Romanesque style is unusual for Aberdeen.
James Souttar provided the designs while he was working in Stockholm and is perhaps his earliest extant building The apse is based on the one at Lund Cathedral. William Leslie, an Aberdeen builder and granite merchant (and member of the congregation), is credited with the execution of the former Belmont Congregational Church.
In 1865 the building was called the Belmont Congregational Church, but became known as the St Nicholas Congregational Chapel in 1910. St Nicholas was the last Congregational Chapel in Aberdeen. The final service was held in 1995 although the congregation continued to worship withn the kirk of St Nicholas. The chapel is currently used as a nightclub (resurvey 2006).
Other nearby listed buildings